MWGL Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 18 posts from this thread on one page

MWGL Forums (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/index.php)
- MWGL Off-Topic (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=38)
-- Computer Advice (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=766)

Posted by WaRMaN on 02-26-2004 11:37 PM:

Computer Advice

The budget:
$500

The parts needed:
MB & CPU
RAM 512 or 1 GIG
Case

Any suggestions on what to get and where?

Posted by Alucard on 02-27-2004 04:49 AM:

try www.newegg.com that is where i go.

Pain is my love.
I am the god of death.
While you are waiting for you fate.
Would you dance with me?

Posted by snooggums on 02-27-2004 05:42 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by DesignatedDecoy
try www.newegg.com that is where i go.

You should be able to put together a really good system through there and get it in a few days. Prices are reasonable and everything is well marked and they handle bad parts well I hear, although I've never had a bad part.

What kind of each are you looking for? I can build a whole comp that is decent without a vid card for about 225 there, but it depends what exactly your are looking for, brands you want etc.

Posted by Kagato on 02-27-2004 07:04 AM:

Deffinately NewEgg:

Motherboard: Abit NF7 - $79
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500 Mobile - $99 (these run at a lower voltage than desktop so if you're not oc'in, they run really cool)
Memory: Corsair DDR-PC3200 - 1 Gig - $170
Case: Chenbro PC61166Blue - $45 -or-Lian Li PC-7 - $90

Posted by pc_g0d on 02-27-2004 04:37 PM:

I bought my last rig from newegg. Had it in no time. Everything worked great. Good luck.

Posted by snooggums on 02-28-2004 02:56 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Kagato
[B]Deffinately NewEgg:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500 Mobile - $99 (these run at a lower voltage than desktop so if you're not oc'in, they run really cool)

But will the mobo autodetect this? I didn't know they were the same size even.

Posted by Anthos on 02-28-2004 05:49 AM:

Yup. They are socket A, as well. They run on a lower FSB and lower voltage. I would think if you did this, you would have to make sure you lower your voltage output in the bios beforehand, right? I wouldn't think 1.65v would boot it. Possibly fry it? I dunno....if temperature isn't an issue (and it shouldn't be with a proper cooling fan and case air flow), then just stick with the regular Athlon XP 2500 . $76

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Posted by Alucard on 02-28-2004 08:30 AM:

for a mobo get a kt 600 i am running a gigabyte kt 600 and i love it there are so many things you can change to make it run just the way you want it to.

Posted by Kagato on 02-28-2004 09:14 AM:

The mobile versions are the same as the desktop, with the exception that they've been certified at running the same speeds at lower voltages. I believe most of today's boards should detect them without issue and select the correct voltage and even if not, they still shouldn't have issues running at the stock 1.65V. The big draw to them now is since AMD has started locking the multiplier on all the normal XP line, the mobile's are still unlocked - big positive when your overclocking an AMD.

Posted by Mojo_jojo on 02-28-2004 01:58 PM:

Warman,

Why don't you get a mini case. Shuttle makes a good machine and you get a board and case all in one.

If you don't go overboard with processor speed and memory, I think that you should be able to get all that you need for less than five hundred dollars.

Later,

Posted by Anthos on 02-28-2004 10:36 PM:

I don't know about those, but if he picks his own parts, then he can get pretty much whatever he wants (within a certain performance level) for around $400-$500 for the parts he listed. That way, he's not stuck with just a few options of premanufactured stuff.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Posted by Reflex on 02-28-2004 11:15 PM:

I don't have much to add, except that NewEgg is the way to go, massive selection and excellent prices.

Posted by WaRMaN on 02-29-2004 12:44 AM:

OK, this is what I am looking at.....

Intel 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

ABIT 875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" -RETAIL (Kagato wanabe )

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

CHENBRO Blue/Black Mid-Tower Case, Model "PC61166BLUE"

Total of $550

I am also adding on an ATI 9800 PRO 128 MB Video Card.
Opinions?

Posted by MOMO on 02-29-2004 09:45 AM:

Question: The specs from the mobo states:

RAM: 4x DIMM support Dual-Channel DDR400 Max 4GB(ECC)

Does that mean the board only accepts ECC ram, or can non-ECC work too?

Also, I'm guessing that you already have a PS?

Posted by Kagato on 02-29-2004 08:54 PM:

Most folks use non-ECC on the board since the correction isn't really necessary for gamers and whatnot. As far as I know, the ECC support will only work if up to two slots are populated, beyond that and it gets disabled.

All times are Central. The time now is 01:13 AM. Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 18 posts from this thread on one page