MWGL Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 16 posts from this thread on one page

MWGL Forums (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/index.php)
- MWGL Questions and Comments (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5)
-- How do we make tournaments more competitive? (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=480)

Posted by BurnPilot on 04-30-2003 04:01 PM:

How do we make tournaments more competitive?

We have been noticing that quite often it is the same 3 teams/individuals always in the top three in our regular tournaments. Because of this we have been trying to figure out ways in which to increase level of competition and attract new people. One thing I have noticed, is while we have certain regulars we also have a few people from farther away that come to our events every so often. Thing is these players live so far away that it probably isn't feasible for them to come to even every full event. So what is the solution? One idea that I had and have been bouncing around with members follows.

Idea:

Increase the focus on the tournaments at each event by:

1. Never having over 1 team and 1 individual tournament per event and having the team tournament be the primary focus for the event.

2.Change tournament Structure so that the same tournament is not held at two full events in a row. Really popular tournaments such as CS would be held every six months (or every other full event for those not wanting to do the math)

Benefits:

1. With decreased regularity, the attendees from farther off (and even those close by who are busy) can target specific events to come to and expect high levels of competition and fun. I've talked with people that come to our events from pretty far places who simply can't make all our events. This would give them something to shoot for.

2. Bigger deal could be made in advertising the tournaments. As of right now I get the feeling of "Oh well I might have something that weekend so I'll just make the next one." If people know it's going to be a big event they are more likely to come and less frequency makes them much more attractive and potentally larger in my mind.

In short we are looking at ways to to keep up the competition. In theory if the same 3 teams keep winning all the time some people could eventually say "Hey what's the point, not like I'm going to win against a full clan when I'm on a pick-up team." Keep in mind there would still be great open play and other games at the lan for those interested in that, we are just looking at ways to make things better for those who come for our tournaments as well. Thoughts? Suggestions on how to increase the competition? Feel free to share.

Posted by mhael on 04-30-2003 06:44 PM:

We had a similar experience with Lawrence Frag Fest... of course, with LFF - you are looking at half the size of MWGL (MWGL is usually 100ish, LFF was 40-50). One of our "issues" was that in tournaments, you would run into the same group bringing a powerhouse to the event and demolishing everyone else and their pugs. At one event, we spent a long time debating about throwing everyone's name in a hat that wanted to play in the CS tournament, and draw randomly - thus (hopefully) evening the teams more and having a group of people win that otherwise would not.

This of course brought on much frustration and anger from our following, particularly from the group of winners that typically 24:0 raped everyone else.

Myself, I think the current layout is fine. Your ideas have merit, Burn - but the more you fiddle, the more (in my experience) you tend to aggrivate. I would focus on getting the tournament rules as close to CAL/CPL as possible for all tournaments, and (most importantly) keeping these tournaments on a RIGID schedule.

The worst competition I've ever been in is TheRush, a relatively new CS tournament structure based online, which is POORLY organized. Half the time, you didn't even know your team was up to play until 15 minutes prior to the match. For online tournaments, that is an absolute disaster.

If you change anything at any upcoming events, I would recommend simply putting a timetable to all matches.

ie. For Q3 1v1, if you have 3 servers total and plan on running 3 matches all at once, those first three matches should all be going at 12 PM CST Saturday. Estimate that they end by 12:20, and the next set of matches begin at exactly 12:30. Etc.

This way, people can plan their lunch schedule, and know precisely when they have to be at their setup logging into the server.

If a person / team is not present at their time, they have 2 minutes to show up, or they forfeit. Is that mean? Is that harsh? Is that strict? Sure it is - but the rest of us who ARE on time and around, are sick of waiting for losers to show up late and get their game together. Noone likes starting a CS tournament at 3 AM, and noone likes playing a decapitated CS tournament because the Q3 and UT2k3 players can't get their crap together beforehand.

So... in summary, I'd focus more on making this upcoming event and all future events more streamlined than looking to changing format.

-dbh

Posted by atr.recoil on 04-30-2003 06:47 PM:

just do what all the other lans do. find a way to get a big crash prize, advertise nationally via websites like domainofgames.com (a member of our clan is staff on it so it would be no problem), and supply machines. with about 20+ (give or take a few) p4/amd comps over 2.4 gigs, u should have an excellent turnout. alot more people will come if there is money, and not a byoc (cpl style). also, hold it over a weekend, not a day. ALSO. teams only....a bunch of random people for pugs doesnt make for a good tourney either.

Posted by dbh on 04-30-2003 06:53 PM:

btw... above post by "MHael" is me... :x wrong login.

-dbh

Posted by BurnPilot on 04-30-2003 07:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by atr.recoil
ALSO. teams only....a bunch of random people for pugs doesnt make for a good tourney either.

We have been discussing moving to a team registration once we start attracting more teams. Nice points so far though guys.

Posted by TappeR on 05-18-2003 11:58 AM:

I would think you could draw more clans if it was based around the quilifiers(like a week before) and cpl. and just tell the people and clans to advertize for mwgl to bring in more clanz. lots of stlious lan teams that never come out here:/ or proubably just dont know about it.

Posted by atr.recoil on 05-18-2003 12:33 PM:

a pre-qualifyer would be cool, because CompUSA controls all of the official CPL qualifyers

Posted by mekk on 05-19-2003 10:35 AM:

Gamefixx (CompUSA) controls pre-qualifers as well.

Posted by Porky on 05-19-2003 12:54 PM:

yeah but cpl is gay, gg angel THEY WILL SELLOUT ON CS ONE DAY THEN WHO's SIDE WILL YOU BE ON?

Posted by atr.recoil on 05-19-2003 03:02 PM:

i didn't know that matt thanks, and if cpl sells out it wont be cpl anymore, it will be quakecon2

Posted by r2k on 06-06-2003 03:31 PM:

Lawrence Frag Fest ?? Damn i went to school there for 4 years and never heard of it! damn! do you still have them? Also to get more people? you gotta advertise somehow.. Ive been playing the rainbow six series and CS since 1999 and not once did I hear a word about it. Ive been posting in the Raven-shield forums about the next lite event and also the heavy. Just a suggestion seeing as next week will be my 1st event

r2k

Posted by prophecy519 on 06-11-2003 10:08 PM:

what brings people to a LAN?? fun. MWGL is fun, you have lots of people that come. what brings competition? money. if you show them the money....they will come. you guys need more advertisers to front you more cash/prizes for the tourneys. you could also stop supplying food, that would give you more money for the tournaments.

on a side note, i think you need to appeal more to the quake community!!! you must get more quakers to come, and have a big cash prize for the winners. LONG LIVE QUAKE III ARENA. CS= GAY.

when i think of MWGL i think of CS; the only competition at MWGL right now is CS, and even in that, the competition isn't great...you need to focus strcitly either CS or Quake3, and put all the money in that. there is plenty of gamers in the midwest that would come, IF it would pay off, ie if they could win prize money that would make their trip worth while.

one more idea, i think it's already been covered though. don't have a tournament every event, do it every other event to increase the prize money that much more.

Posted by alycium on 08-03-2003 06:32 PM:

Well I have exp in cal-im and I have lot's of ppl here in the KCMO area that would love to have fun and put up a challenge...Trust me we arnt an easy group of ppl We like to play hard and make a fight! Im new to this place and was thinking about bringing about 10+ ppl to check it out...We usually have a lan party at a friends house with a nice basement and fits around 20 ppl just to ahve fun with some local ppl..So if you guy's want more ppl and more of a challeng I can bring as many as possible Plus I want to get some prizes lol...For all the hours I play and get nothing

Posted by alycium on 08-03-2003 06:38 PM:

Also I was reading through all these comments and I noticed you guy's talk about "clans" I have a well put together clan... BUT! The problem is were all scatterd around USA! Im the only one in my clan that is in missouri....lol Most of them are texas,newyrok...ect anywhere but mo,ks

Posted by schmo killer on 08-05-2003 09:19 AM:

I agree with some of you guys. I think the biggest things you are missing are structure and prizes. I was at the last full event, and the only banter I heard from the leaders was about 1 tournament, and like 3 people went up there. You need more stuff happening all the time. Weird tournaments, movies, whatever. I support having the pizza, that is a good break. The money thing is important too. If you have money or "good" prizes, people will come. Some might not like this, but KCBD was more structured, had more people, and better prizes. It was a little more fun. I think your events could be even better! Anyway, hope I didn't offend. I did have fun at the last event, and plan on coming back. Thanks!

schmo

All times are Central. The time now is 04:13 AM. Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 16 posts from this thread on one page