MWGL Forums
Show all 38 posts from this thread on one page

MWGL Forums (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/index.php)
- MWGL Questions and Comments (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5)
-- Plans for the Next Lan Party? (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=125)

Posted by BuZzZz on 04-02-2002 12:06 PM:

Question Plans for the Next Lan Party?

HeY

Just wanting to know what are the plans for the next tourney games for the next lan party?

and why were so many people registered for UT and then only 7 guys actualy played? Please keep the Ut tournY!!!! ITs the best!!

WOuld Jedi Knights 2 be possible for a tourny?? Its a great game!!!

Later....

Buzzzz

Posted by Squirre1 on 04-02-2002 12:10 PM:

We are going to have Jedi Knight be the tournaments for the next event and try to do something special.

We will have to see.

Posted by BuZzZz on 04-03-2002 12:01 PM:

ANd.......

Jedi Knights 2 right....?

so thats it no other tournys? just jedi?
or arer ther other? if so any ideas?

THanks

BUzzzz

Posted by Squirre1 on 04-03-2002 12:20 PM:

Will more than likely be others, but after the complications this weekend with cheating, we are rethinking have another CS tournament....

Posted by Curve on 04-03-2002 01:53 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Squirre1
we are rethinking have another CS tournament....

Say it ain't so squirre1 say it ain't so...

My thoughts on this:
Counter-Strike 1.4 will be out before your next LAN party. That I can be almost sure of. Now I know I am going out on a limb saying this and all, but I bet with the next release cheats will be at an all time low. I can't say stopped, because that would just be dumb of me.

Hell, CS:CZ will be out by the end of April, and that will bring a whole new field of game play back in to it. CS is way to popular after 3+ years of being out for it to die down at tourney's (contrary to popular belief BurnPilot ).

With CSGuard , valve's new cheat protection and the fact that there will be actual member's watching over people as they play in tournements (me being a new one (thanks guys!!)), you have nothing to worry about having cheats go on at LAN's, especially yours.

Plus, CS is jsut getting better !!!!!!!

/me steps off soap box and finds a way to fuck that up somehow.

Posted by Bruce_1337 on 04-03-2002 02:16 PM:

OMG U WOULD BE F00lz! not to have another cs tournament!!!!!!!!

If haveing most of your registrants registering for cs isnt enough to tip u off, look at the CPL. I dont know how many of you keep up with what is going on with the cpl, but i would check it out. I think there is a reason they picked counter-strike to be the championship game for last winter and this summer. Also, look at the number of clans that have been registered into cal open this past season. I remember two seasons ago, open had almost as many registrants as main. Now main is twice as large and open is 4x as large.

Seriously, i know cheating is a problem online, but on lan u can spot a cheater like its nothing. That is what the Team Liquid guy was trying to show you when he was up there. I know our team pointed a guy with cheats but there was more to the story than that. The BFG guys were accusing of be cheaters and pretty much telling everybody we were h4x. One of our members went on their machine to play and show that he doesnt hack. In the process of setting his control he saw the ogc commands in the BFG guys command menu. Honestly, he probably wouldnt have said anything if it wasnt for the fact the BFG guys would not let up.

I sincerly hope u dont cut cs, and in fact, i wish you would concentrate more on it (granted u keep getting the cs tournament signups). I really liked how you guys adopted cal rules because cal is by far superior to any other league. If you do cut cs, i doubt i'll be at the next event. If you need help running cs, i'll freely volunteer. I love the game and look at it as a sport, it would be a shame if the only good lan party in kansas city decided to drop it.

bB|-Bruce1337r0y aka Sean_T
p.s. When will the pics from the last tournament be up.

Posted by devilon on 04-03-2002 07:19 PM:

man... fuck CS. I've played it a few times, and I personaly hate it. It's not the controls, not the interface, not the fact that you have to reload... it just is really boring. From what I hear, Jedi Knight II and MOH are gonna be going on. Those will be fun.

Posted by Curve on 04-03-2002 10:59 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by devilon
man... fuck CS. I've played it a few times, and I personaly hate it. It's not the controls, not the interface, not the fact that you have to reload... it just is really boring. From what I hear, Jedi Knight II and MOH are gonna be going on. Those will be fun.

I will not have your blasphemous tounge!!!!

Ok I will.. You are god. you > me.

Posted by BuZzZz on 04-04-2002 11:36 AM:

Thumbs down Yeah i think CS sucks!! plz read

I have played CS and i hate the buy menu and all the other stuff that goes with it, a good player is good so he get better guns that makes him even better harder to kill and so on, in my opinion this is unfair, this makes the game unfun, that if your good you get more advantages and unfair!!

So my solution is you guys try SF Strike Force for UT is a mod like CS thats much better no buy menu, fair game no cheat possible, and its like CS teams figth other team you die your dead and ghost mode, like CS and the guns and levels are better, this game is more on skill eveone weapons are fare, so you rely on skill not making money and getting guns.

TRY IT!!! if people played it they would take it over CS so try it, its worth it.

I would like to get some action fo it at the next lan, so you guys can see how great it is.

Heres the site check it out!!
http://www.strikeforcecenter.com/

trust me its worth it, and its better than CS!!!!

Later....
BuZzZz

Posted by Bruce_1337 on 04-04-2002 01:47 PM:

lol, nope, not better than cs, not even close.

Posted by devilon on 04-04-2002 06:41 PM:

I kinda like Tactical Ops, it's pretty nice. I really like MoH and stuff like that though.

Posted by Tuscanspeed on 04-27-2002 01:48 PM:

Talking

CS is bout as much fun as watching my dog crap in the back yard. The only thing I saw come out of it was some guy getting real ticked off and yelling bout it.

Posted by BurnPilot on 04-27-2002 04:25 PM:

We have talked on previous occasions about rotating the tournies so the same ones wouldn't be running EVERY event. This is especially good for the tournies that it seems like the same people are winning every event. So if we did decide to remove cs for say one event just to try out another game as a tourney, it in no way says cs will never be back. I went and played cs the day after it came out and there were already hackers running around. I'm sure I witnessed 2 and there was a possiblity of a 3rd. If anything, if we do decide to rotate cs out for say the next one, it will just be to get some variety in the event. Some tournies I think might be cool include.

Jedi Knight II 2v2
MoH or RtCW teams
DoD team

I am currently trying to make list of what else we could do, but think some variety would be good.

Posted by Bruce_1337 on 04-27-2002 05:17 PM:

...ok, but i would expect less of a turnout =/(not a threat, just based on the #of cs signups for the last event...seems like it would make more since to remove UT)....and fyi, the valve anti-cheat hasn't gone live, i have a fealing those hackers are going to be in for a surprise.

Posted by dbh on 04-28-2002 09:01 PM:

he's right, gents... CS is still the king of gaming. Even with 1.4's crap, hundreds of thousands still play it over anything else.

On a more personal note, I am having two SoF members who went to the MWF's CPL Qualifier last year come with me to this event from Springfield, MO. Kind of a good distance... and we're coming to play a CS tournament (among everything else). If you dont' want to run one, that's cool - I run the LFF's CS tournament every couple months, and can do this one too. Prizes are another story... but I don't play for prizes, and I doubt many others do. I'd warn you though... if you don't run an official CS tournament and someone like myself starts up an informal bracket, very few will be doing anything else but participating in the CS tournament :/ Like he said... not a threat... just the sad fact :/

Let me know what you decide... getting guys from 5 hours away does take some planning. Also, when's the date on this next one? I've heard May 18ish, which is three weeks. If that's the case, can we get a date set in stone soon? That's really not very far at all...

-dbh

Posted by dbh on 04-28-2002 09:27 PM:

Gave that more thought. Do you guys mind if we host mini-informal tournaments? If that would get in the way, then nevermind. I don't want to distract from the main event... I would like to see something CS related, however. Could we maybe post a vote on the site, or during registration on tournaments? Like setup a three-fold tournament voting process? That's what we do for LFF registration...

www.lawrencefragfest.com

Our next event won't have formal tournaments... we like to rotate every other event between tourneys and no-tourneys to keep everyone competitive that comes, but also comradery-based. Long story, but we've found it works fairly well for our meager 50 person database of gamers.

Anyway, what I was getting at, was the way they have registration setup. You create an account at the site. Then you login. Go to events-->next event. Add me to the list. Once added, you can then click a button at the bottom of the registration list: "Tournament voting." And working off a basic form, you vote for a game. The top three games are the games we host tourneys for officially. *shrug* It seems to work well for the most part... but it may not be right for the MWGL. Just a thought.

-dbh

Posted by TiTyBaNG on 04-29-2002 08:48 PM:

I know you had mentioned that there will be no RTS games bcuz they were to long. But I was wondering if you can get like a "for fun, NO prize WC3 tourney." Just set up some brackets and just let the teams play away.
It's just an idea.
There are a lot of RTS gamer's out there that would love to be able to play a RTS Tourney.

Posted by Anthos on 04-30-2002 12:11 AM:

As long as Squirre1 has the servers set up for it, there will be a CS tourney.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Posted by dbh on 05-01-2002 06:40 PM:

Cool. Let me know if you guys need any help with anything. I have an extra box I can bring to host a server or two:

WinXP Pro
Athlon 966
256 MB SDRAM
Nvidia Vanta (16MB)
20 GB 5200RPM HD

Not a great box, but that's why it's one of my spares. More than an adequate host, however.

-dbh

Posted by Boltsky on 05-09-2002 08:55 PM:

Steps to deal with cheaters
-----------------------------------

1) Locate cheater and confirm the cheating
2) Beat the shit out of the cheater and piss all over his computer while it is running.
3) Repeat as many times as necessary

Posted by Sir Raven on 05-10-2002 03:05 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by TiTyBaNG
I know you had mentioned that there will be no RTS games bcuz they were to long. But I was wondering if you can get like a "for fun, NO prize WC3 tourney." Just set up some brackets and just let the teams play away.
It's just an idea.
There are a lot of RTS gamer's out there that would love to be able to play a RTS Tourney.

Who said their wont be any rts tourneys: Not me. I am an rts player and I will say that one will be in the works in future events. Probably Empire Earth or AOE or even Starcraft in 1v1 deathmatch. Who ever said that is misinformed. We just need to work out details on running one effectively so time doesnt become a factor. The main reason we havent done one so far is because of the popularity of 1st person shooters their are atleast 8 members of mwgl that play rts type games so we are not trying to rule out that idea. When one is decided we will make sure their is enough time to register for it but for now patients is all that is needed. Even if their are no tourneys of it their is always someone playing one, find them join in and have fun...

Posted by dbh on 05-10-2002 07:51 AM:

Right. The key to any tournament is timing. You have to keep things moving, or they don't all get done... and if you are holding your largest tournament for last (CS), you HAVE to push the stragglers early on to get their rear in gear. Particularly in 1v1 (whatever style)-- gamers like to warm-up and prepare themselves mentally before each match. In order for things to move smoothly, this just can't happen.

If you need an RTS tournament, and you have less than 8-10 people involved, I would recommend running it during another tournament, or do it first-- on a Friday night (if it's a Fri-Sat LAN). That way, gamers not interested in the RTS can choose to either just come Saturday, or come both days and warm-up/play the night before.

I know you all know this... just a quick reminder

-dbh

Posted by BurnPilot on 05-10-2002 08:05 AM:

The problem with an RTS tournament, at least in my mind, is that you could easily get 20+ participants and each round could easily take 2 hours plus if not limited in some way. Sure there would be rounds decided in possibly under 30 minutes but you have to plan for the possibility. The only way around this would be to limit round time and say something like, "Best Score in 30 minutes". Of course the problems with this would be the difference in strategies. One person can have "turtle" strategy that could see them lose a little more early on yet still rebound and win given the amount of time to finish the round. I've been looking at new tournament ideas for a while now and can't find a way to run an rts tourney that would be fair to all and still time effiecent. So far I have not found a way for it to work out. If anyone has an idea of how to do an rts tourney and make it fair for ALL strategies let us know. So far any idea has been way to time consuming and you must remember, some of us want to game in addition to running the events.

Posted by Bruce_1337 on 05-10-2002 12:54 PM:

I think dbh had a good point in running tournaments at the same time. I know some people like to cross enroll but i remember at the last event the cs tournament was not only shorted round but barely finished as it was. If your able to run both at the same time the CS tournament could start earlier and we could play with full 12 rounds ( 12 rounds is even more important now because they made it virtually impossible to win a save round in 1.4 by making pistols at least 4x worse than they used to be (except the glock, the glock is the same =/)).

Posted by Anthos on 05-10-2002 01:39 PM:

The CS tournament running long was partly due to the fact that we had you finish out all the rounds, instead of just stopping when it was decided. That wasted a lot of time. That will be changed next time.

Posted by TiTyBaNG on 05-10-2002 03:34 PM:

A Starcraft Brood War tourney would not take long at all if it was a 1v1 tourney. I'm pretty skilled at that game, and when I play gosu's from clan x17 our matches never last any more then 45 minutes. (AT THE MOST)

I like the idea of having the WC3 tourney the night before the big tourney's. That allows us plenty of time. The tourney wouldn't take to long becuz there isn't a ton of WC3 beta players out there yet. I would suggest a 2v2 style. Just duke it out from there and see how it goes.

I would love to see a WC3 tourney at the next MWGL, if that can't be arranged, a Brood War tourney will do

Posted by BurnPilot on 05-10-2002 04:15 PM:

The problem is that you can't guarantee that time limit. Sure you might be able to beat a inexperienced player in no time, but we still have to plan for the longest scenerio. I've seen 1 on 1 matches last 3+ hours between skilled players and quite frankly it would be hard to schedule somthing like that. The reason most of our tournies are fps is because you can set a match time and say that is it. RTS have the problem I mentioned earlier, were some people might take loses at first but be able to pull it out later because of the strategies they use. There is no fair way in my opinion that an rts tourney can be done without it being the primary tourney and running pretty much the entire event. Even then there is no guarantee that we will have enough time.

Posted by dbh on 05-10-2002 08:18 PM:

Right again, to Burn. Planning for the possibility is a must. Same with game design. You have to code the software to work even for idiots, who think it's cool to do everything you're *not* supposed to do. It's a pain in the rear, but you have to do it.

As for a WC3 tournament - I think that's a no go from the very start. If the MWGL officially sponsors one, they can get into serious trouble with Blizzard. Regardless of your views on ethics and morality, playing it at this point is illegal. Your welcome to play it as far as I'm concerned-- but for the MWGL to sponsor a tournament for it and award prizes... *shrug*

It sounds to me as if the last CS tournament was almost cut off short-- again. I've only been to two MWGL's. Both were scheduled to have CS tournaments (by far the highlight of the event, if you looked at enrolled figures), and only one ended up having one. This was a 3v3 CS tournament, and the team I brought stole the title from the infamous [HE], comprised of CK3 (which split with some members going to X3 later), and other 1337 players. Sadly, halfway through the tournament, due to time constraints, the rules were changed to hasten the pace.

At the second one I attended (Squirre1's b-day - w00d!), the CS tournament was cancelled near the end of the event, again due to time constraints.

Now I'm way cool with both of those events, and I consider them among the top-rated LAN's I've attended. I had a blast, and I met some truly awesome (both in personality and talent). I can't *wait* for the next one, regardless of the way it is run or the tournaments (if ANY) it has. But, if you plan on running tournaments at the next (or any others in the future), I would advise looking thoroughly into a time schedule and sticking to it. The CS tournament was shortened/cancelled at those events, not because the CS tournament was going slow, but because the previous tournaments dragged on. Push ALL tournaments-- not just the last, and especially not just the favorite. Come up with a list of tournaments you want to host, plot out the time schedule, and pull out the cow-prods.

-dbh

Posted by Sir Raven on 05-11-2002 12:49 AM:

Time constraints is something we are already working on. We understand that it is an issue. As far as rts games, if we do decide to have one, it will be the main tourney for that event. There is time issues with them; but I believe that we cannot rule out the idea of ever having one. So those of you being negative about it can come talk to me about it cause I will push for one in the future.

I do understand how you all feel about them. When I first started gaming (a real long time ago) fps and flight games were all I played and I did not like rts games at all. Now I prefer them and rpgs, but I still play fps. I just wanted ya to know that I understand the problems with running a rts tourney. If it comes down to it I will most likely run it anyways.

So for now I want to end the debate over having a rts tourney. There will be one in the future but not right away. I will probably run it, and it will most likely be the main tourney. When the plans to have one are set I will let everyone know. Those of you who play rts games come see me at the next lan and we will play. I cant promise I will rule but I will give ya a good show.

Posted by dbh on 05-11-2002 11:22 AM:

NP Raven, I'm way down with having one. Whether I enter or not is another question, but I'm game for it. We ran an SC tourney at the last LFF, and it went very smoothly. We did it Friday night, and ran the other two Saturday. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "main event", however, as the main event tournament typically is the one with the most people interested. I'd wager any RTS tournament in Kansas is not going to be the prime pick. In Korea, it will be without a doubt

RTS are fun, cool and open for tournaments-- they just take a little extra preparation. Seems like you're the man to do it.

-dbh

Posted by TiTyBaNG on 05-11-2002 11:22 AM:

Sir Raven for Prez!
I'm glad to see someone who is dedicated to getting a rts tourney going in the future.
Just for you guys that ARE intrested in wc3. There will be a server up and running at the lan according to a friend i've talked to.

Posted by Mr.Sparkle on 05-12-2002 08:35 PM:

Titty, just make sure that it's a dedicated server that he won't be doing anything else on, also make sure that you have the latest server patch, I've gotten mine upto 1.21 but I haven't tried to get it to 1.31 right now.
Oh and DBH you must recall how many times jedi knight 2:jedi outcast was copied at last mwgl, I didn't think they seem to care.
Mr.Sparkle

Posted by Anthos on 05-12-2002 11:18 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Sparkle
Oh and DBH you must recall how many times jedi knight 2:jedi outcast was copied at last mwgl, I didn't think they seem to care.
Mr.Sparkle

What! I didn't see any copying going on! How outrageous!!!!! I assume that's a joke and will hear nothing more of it.

Posted by dbh on 05-13-2002 06:21 PM:

Warez happens. Sad, but true. I did not make any references to having Warcraft III and playing it at the MWGL (although it is wrong, and if caught by any affiliate to the law you can be fined to the extreme). What I did say is that the MWGL (or any other LAN) cannot official host and run a tournament involving a game which has not been officially released.

Your friend is more than welcome, as far as I'm concerned, to host his own server and play it to his liking. As are you, and any other attendees-- unless an MWGL official says otherwise. You won't catch me in the game, however, as I have better things to do with my time than rip developers off. Particularly when they are still in the beta stage of development.

/rant

-dbh

Posted by TiTyBaNG on 05-14-2002 03:16 PM:

quote:
Titty, just make sure that it's a dedicated server that he won't be doing anything else on, also make sure that you have the latest server patch, I've gotten mine upto 1.21 but I haven't tried to get it to 1.31 right now.

I thought you were going to be running the server. Thats who I was referring to. Not me. If i had another computer to run a dedicated server on I would. But I don't

quote:
You won't catch me in the game, however, as I have better things to do with my time than rip developers off. Particularly when they are still in the beta stage of development.

How am I ripping Blizzard off? Im buying the game the day it comes out. I'm playing the beta for practice. That way ill be experienced with the game and ahead of the people that didn't play the beta.

And if im not mistaken..... Blizzard gave people beta cd's.

Aw man I missed a SC Tourney
Whats your guy's LAN Party Web Page?

quote:
We ran an SC tourney at the last LFF, and it went very smoothly.

Posted by dbh on 05-14-2002 04:46 PM:

Edit: Long post. Don't read unless you have a few minutes of your life to waste.

www.lawrencefragfest.com

Next one is coming up in mid-June. Every other LAN is tournament-based... this one hits the no-tourney rotation. We do that so that other games (ala JK2, SoF2, etc.) get played, and not the typical three (UT, Q3, CS) constantly. Plus, it allows those gamers who are less competitive to fit in and have a good time. People are welcome to setup their own tournaments there, however. We always just ask that they contact us with their plans before hand so we can prepare dedicated servers and whatnot.

As for hurting Blizzard through the beta: People aren't directly hurting their profit margin as of yet. I guarantee you a large # of current players out there, however, will not be purchasing the final.

The real problem factor here is not doing what the developer has asked. Yes, beta cd's were sent out. Yes, 5000+ were sent to legitimate testers (all of whom were either hand-picked by the devs or randomly due to location/comp specs in the sign-up they had months back). No, you weren't picked (I'm assuming), and No, I was not picked.

Here's the kicker: the devs made this a closed beta for a reason. Regardless of whether you plan to buy it or not, they did not make it public. You broke the law by downloading it, and you are continuing to break it for using it today. I understand your desire to become familiar with it and thus have a better edge over the legits when it hits shelves. Many others feel the same way you do. Yes, perhaps it us unfair that 5000 people are legally allowed to play the beta for months prior to when the rest of us are... but as you may have noticed, the beta has changed significantly since its initial release. I would wager more changes will take place. That doesn't throw off the fact that they have an edge... but if you are a dedicated player, their extra time will make no difference.

I'm not going to be your nanny and tell you you can't download software that either (A) you haven't paid for, or (B) hasn't been released to the public. I only posted about this initially to let you know not to expect an official WC3 tournament until the final is out.

As an official SoF2 beta tester, and a friend (he is in -=SoF=-) of the lead programmer, I cannot express the anger and frustration we felt late last month when someone leaked it to the internet. I guarantee you more than half the folks who played that one through will not be purchasing it. When a couple of our members spotted a group playing it at a recent LAN in Colorado, they almost got out of their chairs and went to go beat the living crap out of the lanky freaks across the room. Most of them are warezmonkeys who haven't purchased a single game in their life. Imagine spending two years of your life working on a project, only to have the reward you were to get at the end snatched away from you by a bunch of thieves on the internet. Kinda sucks, if you ask me.

*steps off soap-box*

So that you don't think I'm a self-righteous, sanctimonious fool, I'll let you know that I too downloaded the WC3 Beta a good while back (in its first patch). I played it for a good week, enjoyed it, and have since deleted it (within, I'd say, two weeks of having it). That doesn't make it right, and I am rather upset with myself for doing it. I know it sucks to have to wait months on end for something you really want-- particularly when others already have it-- but it is the right thing to do. The choice is yours.

-dbh

Note: Titty, the negativity above wasn't specifically addressed to you... I didn't mean it to be at least. Just getting some general stuff off my chest.

Posted by TiTyBaNG on 05-14-2002 06:15 PM:

I know

Posted by dbh on 05-14-2002 06:19 PM:

Thanks for being cool about it... didn't want to upset ya :/

-dbh

All times are Central. The time now is 01:01 PM.
Show all 38 posts from this thread on one page