MWGL Forums
Show all 4 posts from this thread on one page

MWGL Forums (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/index.php)
- MWGL Questions and Comments (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5)
-- We'll let you decide... (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=109)

Posted by Anthos on 03-11-2002 11:27 PM:

We'll let you decide...

As there has been some questions as to which card to give away, we'll let you, the attendees decide.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Posted by Anthos on 03-12-2002 12:04 AM:

Here's some info to consider:

From Tom's Hardware
Still, none of the GeForce4 MX cards has full DirectX 8.x support, because of its lack of vertex and pixel shaders. This weighs heavily when you remember the lowest priced offering out of the GeForce4 Ti bunch of cards. It's only $20 more than GeForce4 MX460.

I therefore suggest the GeForce4 MX440 for value buyers, but they should try to get the price down to less than $149. Better yet, a value buyer should watch out for GeForce3 cards. Any GeForce3 card that costs less than $190 is a bargain right now. GeForce3 comes with full DirectX 8.x functionality, vertex/pixel shaders and lots of 3D power! If you can chose between a GeForce3 card and a GeForce4 MX card for similar prices, I would clearly go for the GeForce3!

From Nvidia's site
GeForce3 Ti 200
Graphics Core: 256-bit
Memory Interface: 128-bit DDR
Fill Rate 2.8 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
Operations per Second: 700 Billion
Memory Bandwidth: 6.4GB/Sec.

GeForce4 MX 440
Fill Rate: 1.1 Billion Texels/Sec.
Triangles per Second: 34 Million
Memory Bandwidth: 6.4GB/Sec.
Maximum Memory: 64MB

And here's a link to Tom's Hardware's Benchmarks

If you have additional information that would prove beneficial to one making a decision in this matter, please feel free to post it.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Posted by Kagato on 03-13-2002 12:40 PM:

GF3 Ti200 is a better choice I believe - I still don't understand how Nvidia even decided to badge the GF4 MX as a GeForce 4 (besides to confuse customers and get them to buy something they don't want/need) - It's based on the NV17 core, not the new one as seen in the Ti4400 and Ti4460's. Heck, with the new cards finally being released (Mine's been on backorder for over a week now - ugh) , prices should be dropping (you would thinkg) and an even better choice would be a straight GF3 or the Ti500

Posted by Squirre1 on 03-16-2002 02:42 PM:

Poll Closed

The card to be given away will be the GeForce3 Ti 200. Thanks for voting!

All times are Central. The time now is 08:23 AM.
Show all 4 posts from this thread on one page