MWGL Forums
Show all 5 posts from this thread on one page

MWGL Forums (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/index.php)
- Console (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=61)
-- Microsoft Slashes Game Prices? (http://www.mwgl.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=424)

Posted by WaRMaN on 02-12-2003 12:22 AM:

Microsoft Slashes Game Prices?

Before you say its about time that games are dropped in price to an affordable rate, read what I have to say.

At first glance this seems like a great deal. Microsoft decided to lower the cost of some of their games from the high price of $39-$49 to a mere $19.99. Great, right? NO! These are games that Microsoft calls their "Platinum Hits." Games that have been on the market for 9 or more months and have sold 350,000 - 500,000 copies. That's right, once the sales have obviously peaked or stalled, MS is nice enough to drop the price to $19.99. At a glance this might sound like a decent deal, but does this apply to all titles? NO! MS will exclude it's most popular title, HALO, from this discount. Ed Bland, a senior director of sales and marketing for the Xbox, had this to say: "It is doing very well at $49," noting that it will move to "Platinum Hit" status at some point later in the future. In my opinion, this is calling all gamers stupid. Since you suckers are still willing to pay $49 for this game, we will continue to sell it to you at that price.

It looks like we are still far away from reasonable pricing on games that hit the shelves for PC and consoles alike. Prices like these drive the piracy community to excel. If the software companies would just release their titles at reasonable prices (especially accounting for the quality of their product) I believe they would profit greater monitarily and expose their product to a bigger community that would not normally drop $49.99 on a game. I for one can name very few games that I wouldn't mind purchasing for $49.99. Am I wrong? Let me know!

Posted by KaiserRoll on 02-12-2003 01:13 AM:

Most of the games they are referring to are probably already $20 or lower most places anyways.. You know, the games people got but didn't particularly care for..

Posted by Mojo_jojo on 02-12-2003 10:35 AM:

I have always thought that $50 for a game is outrageous!! I breathe hard when I have to spend $44 for a game. I bothers me to spend that much on a game that I may or may not like. This is one reason why I like PC games. I know so many people that I can try it before I buy it. I can play with a bunch of guys at a LAN event, see how it looks, how it plays and then decide for myself if I want to shell out my hard earned money to own a game. I had to do this with WarCraft 3 and with BF1942. I played the demos, decided that I loved the games and then ran out to the store and plunked down $38 for them.

Maybe if MS or the other game makers would release a trial demo version of the game on CD, allow the public to order it for $5, play it a while, and then when the full game is released, they are more likely to sell a gazillion copies of the games than if you try your luck with a game that you have never played before. Now that I think about it, this would explain why the used XBox game market is so big. People buy a game without playing it first, decide that they don't like it, and turn around and sell it to a used game company just to get some of their money back.

Am I wrong? I don't think so.

Later all,

Posted by Kagato on 02-13-2003 03:00 PM:

Console game prices always have and always will be at a premium price when they're released - that's because it's their bread and butter, especially these days when Microsoft actually looses money on evey Xbox they sell. I've kinda gotten to the point these days where I hesitate spending that kinda change on console game, so tired of being let down, though I suppose it's the same way with PCs too. I tend to find I'm a rather honest person though, if I download a copy and like it, I'll buy it. If it just sucks a$$, I'll toss it in the trash and be done with it.

Posted by WaRMaN on 02-15-2003 11:10 PM:

Personally, I am not buying in to the fact that Bill Gates is taking a hit on every XBOX he sells. That is not good business (obviously) and Bill knows business. I think that we are all so easily willing to believe the story that Bill is losing money because of all the money he is worth. Well let me tell you something: Investors would never allow such a loss, even to gain a percentage of the 8 billion dollar market. The XBOX was built in bulk through buying in bulk and could easily be sold for a profit. I don't buy it - Bill makes money - my opinion.

All times are Central. The time now is 11:46 AM.
Show all 5 posts from this thread on one page