Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
MWGL Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 MWGL Forums > MWGL Questions, Comments and Off-Topic > MWGL Questions and Comments > There are 66 peeps for CS meaning 13 teams...
What are you playing UT2K3 for?
This poll is closed.
Something to do while I wait for CS because thats what I am here for 2 15.38%
I am here to play UT2K3 ONLY 0 0%
My name is Brian Kellogg and I am #8 in the world at UT 5 38.46%
I cant play CS so I play this game 0 0%
I like both games but would drop UT if CS started saturday 4 30.77%
CS is for pimple faced teenage brats 2 15.38%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Bruce_1337

quote:

Solution for counter-strike tournament time/keeping cs players happy

Before i go on, this is only a suggestion but at least consider (i spent way to much time thinking about this....not sure why i did)

The cs tournament can still be 24 rounds (12 each half), and work in with the current time schedual. Make it so that after 13 rounds are won, the match is over (instead of playing it out after a team already won the majority). 66 people is a potential 14 teams, but likely some wont show, so i'd expect 13 teams.

The first round would be single elim...like a qualifying round. Teams would be seeded by 1) Past performance of teams composition at prior cpls.2) Online league standings of teams that have at least 3 members from that team.

The highest seeded teams would get byes. The first two rounds could be played on the first day but matches could be schedualed so that the teams can play whenever they have time to do so. here is the sample schedual i worked out. The numbers represent the team and their seeding. Seeding would change after every round.

Saturday
noon: 6:00: First round of double elim
Elimination Round
team 1-3: Byes 1vs8
4vs13 2vs7
5vs12 3vs6
6vs11 4vs5
7vs10
8sv9

Sunday:
9:00 10:45 12:30 2:15
winners---------------------------------------------------
1vs4 1vs2
2vs3

losers------------------------------------------------------

5vs8 3vs6 3vs4 2vs3
6vs7 4vs5

MOST LIKELY, the finals will be started by 3 because i doubt each round will really take 1 hour and 45 minutes(more like an hour). This will run the lan a little later than planned but it everybody would be happy because they would have 12 rounds and it would maybe even allow u time to setup hltv on the projector for the finals. (cs is fun to watch)

PS: TrueSign sucks at ut2k3

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-24-2002 11:39 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

Well, your first suggestion is already in place. The matches will only be played until a winner is decided. None of that finish it out BS that screwed us last time. We'll look at the rest of the schedule, but I think it will be pretty much the same as last time, with the possible exception of having it split over two days.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Old Post 10-25-2002 12:57 AM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

marloo. I said, just trust us to do our job. We've received that info already several times. The point has been made. Arguing it over and over with no new information is not going to do you any good, it's just plain annoying. If you have something new to tell me, please do. However, if it's just the same old stuff that I've already heard ten times already, I'd just as soon not read it.

Old Post 10-25-2002 08:18 AM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbh

quote:

bah, I hate seeding, and I hate qualifier rounds for double elim. Ghey stuff if you ask me. Everyone should have an equal chance at every tournament, period. So what if #1 and #2 get stuck together first - that's what the double elim is for :\

-dbh

Old Post 10-25-2002 09:35 AM
marloo

quote:

I will not be attending future mwgl event after this one...
Neither will my team more than likely. WHY??????

Forums are places for people to say what they think and what they feel. The two posts that you deleted took me about 1 hour and 30 min to compose. Just because you dont want to read it doesnt mean that OTHER people dont want to. I DO NOT think you should have deleted those posts and I am a little upset that you did. What that tells me is that if you dont have anyhing to type that will make MWGL look good dont type anything, and if you do it will just be DELETED...go admin go and btw, thx for changing my poll, umm yeah....

go ahead and delete this one also

Old Post 10-25-2002 12:31 PM
Brett
Disabled

dhaha marloo quote:

i dont think anyone cares, go away whiner

Old Post 10-25-2002 01:03 PM
Brett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brett Click here to Send Brett a Private Message Click Here to Email Brett Find more posts by Brett Add Brett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobdoletha1

quote:

the only thing i have to say is that you can't expect continued growth without listening to input.

mwgl has a good chance of expanding to be a "legitimate" tournament for the midwest, but not if its run with the whole "we'll run it how we like stfu and deal with it" attitude.

Its really up to the admins to determine how cool they want the tourney to be. If they want to be a mini cpl, then they better start listening, if they are content to be a local tourney where the only online team that shows up wins every time, then keep going down this road.

marloo, i think you may be taking it a bit harshly. calm down fgt!

brett: grow up.

Old Post 10-25-2002 02:54 PM
Brett
Disabled

lol quote:

lol

Old Post 10-25-2002 04:29 PM
Brett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brett Click here to Send Brett a Private Message Click Here to Email Brett Find more posts by Brett Add Brett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbh

quote:

Bob's right on this - it depends on what TYPE of LAN the mwgl staff intends to run. It is my belief, based on prior events I have attended over the past two years, that they do not wish to gain CPL qualifier status and host 40 person CS team competitions. Based on the attendees I have known in the past, this is also the general consensus of the majority also.

There are essentially two types of LANs out there - pro gamer based competition with large prizes, high stakes, and a large pool of competitive players. These are typically 300+ LANs. The other type is the community sub-100/150 LANs with moderate prizes, moderate sponsorship, and a few basic tournaments which (and here is the key) are designed to fit EVERYONE. The rules and specs for the tournaments (and format, for that matter) do not gear towards pro-gamers or casual gamers alone - but both. That is why I think the staff has decided to include the possibility of a variety of maps which are generally left alone in competitive CS. It is also why 7 rounds were selected instead of the typical CAL 12. Casual gamers don't have the devotion to one/two games that pro-gamers do and thus WANT more than one title to play in. They don't want a two day event dedicated to one large tournament. They also typically do not belong to a clan (or at least one that plays regularly and lives nearby) and thus do not stand much of a chance in larger, pro-LANs.

You need BOTH types of LANs. I go to both. I help run the Lawrence Frag Fest, a casual LAN consisting of usually less than 50 people. I enjoy these LANs. I also enjoy pro-LANs and go to various ones two-three times a year at least.

Whether the MWGL stays a community LAN or decides to upgrade to pro-LAN status is up to them - not you. Input is fine, Marloo - negative, deconstructive input is never welcome - anywhere.

I saw the other day a protest on KU campus about our pending war on Iraq - a bunch of students had Bush-defaming signs with silly quotes like "Drop Bush, not bombs" and other trash. Catchy? No - retarded. They stood with their silly signs for several hours "making a point." There are a LOT of better ways to "make a point" and get something done than stand with silly signs for hours.

If you have input that you think can help, offer it. The key here is what is meant by the word "help". I define it in this situation as help that can contribute to THIS LAN. Not the next one, or anything else. Attempting to offer ways to make the LAN more fun for you by changing the tournament structure at the last minute is probably not the best idea. I don't know if you've ever run a moderate LAN before of this size, but there is a lot of work that goes into it. In order to make sure the event goes smoothly, it takes a lot of planning. It's frustrating, after all that work, to read negative posts from people - particularly if they do nothing to achieve a constructive, better-for-everyone, end.

And that is my final point - the mwgl has always been a "built for the masses" LAN. They are trying to cater to pro, casual and nub gamers alike. Cut them some slack. If you can do it better, start your own LAN.

As for RCS not returning - I certainly hope that isn't the case. I think someone mentioned the fact that RCS has completely redone its roster recently, but the RCS I met a year ago at the MWF in Bloomington, IL was great. I was incredibly impressed by the maturity, and fun attitude the group present had. -=SoF=- and RCS played close to 5 or 6 matches during that event, and we had a blast. You may not have been there (I cannot remember), and the group coming to the MWGL may not have been there either. If they are the people I met then, however, I sincerely look forward to seeing them again and gaming with them.

Lastly, don't judge a LANs success before you go. You are welcome to post any feedback AFTER the event, negative or positive. I guarantee you the mwgl staff will give it a serious read (if you take them seriously) and consider your advice.

-dbh

Old Post 10-25-2002 06:27 PM
Bruce_1337

quote:

Cool anthos...yeah, finishing rounds out pointlessly just adds to the time delay. Letting them stop when a team has won the majority will push one or two rounds ahead of schedual ** A good Thing**.

Btw, in response to bob doles idea of legitament tournament in the midwest, that would be awesome. By legitament i would mean ran by the standard set by the cpl, and it would also be nice to have a tournament giving away a hefty cash prize. I would guess that the mwgl lends more towards the casual gamers and not people who have the same drive to compete as u and I. I can actually understand this, and my best comparison for bob dole is magic. I would never run a magic tournament that was dci sanctioned or at least didn't follow the dci guidlines, but there are some stores where most of their players play varitions like two headed giant and emporer, and have their tournament accordingly.

I wonder if i was to find a sponsor to host such a lan how many people teams would show/how far people would come from. I know guys on my draft team thought about going but didnt do to fear of playing de_vertigo. I think if there were such events and they were more frequent, there might actually be bigged named teams based out of kc again.

Old Post 10-25-2002 06:37 PM
dbh

quote:

Bruce, last winter the MWGL did try to run a CPL Qualifier. They were official and everything - but they didn't get enough interest from teams to run through with it. That's the entire reason I took a team of five to Bloomington, IL instead of to KC, MO - a thirty minute trip :|

I think the MWGL is more than happy to run one big competitive event a year - there just isn't the support right now in the area. Or at least, if there is, they need to get off their arses and show it :P

-dbh

Old Post 10-25-2002 06:56 PM
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

There is no we'll run the tournament how we want to run the tournament. We are taking in all of your comments and responding to them. There has been no definite decision on how many rounds to be played because we haven't been able to sit down together and look at how the time will all work out. I am doing my best to get the tournament into a form that will make you (yes, you, the contestants happy). Marloo, all the information in your posts was repeated information that has been posted already. I'm sorry you spent so much time on it, but I did read it and took note of it. I don't think that what was in there was negative towards MwGL at all. I don't delete posts just based on positive/negative input. I think I have done a tremendous job in listening to all the input and doing what I can to make the tournament into a structure that most, if not everyone will enjoy. The information in your post, while in a different format, was repetitive and a waste of time, to put it bluntly. I hope you don't need/want a sugar coating for it, because I can't think of one at the moment. dbh made many excellent points that I don't feel the need to repeat here. My request to you all is to wait until the event and see how the tournament goes before you make any decisions about whether to attend the next one. I am very pleased at the quality of competitors that are showing up for this tournament. I AM listening to you all and I AM doing what I can to format this tournament in a pleasing manner. I do get frustrated when I keep hearing the same thing over and over and over again with no additional input. Perhaps I reacted too quickly by deleting the posts, but really, all the information in there I have seen before. I apologize if I upset you by my actions, but as dbh said the positive suggestions are the most helpful.

Old Post 10-25-2002 07:01 PM
Bruce_1337

quote:

dbh, the reason mwgl was unbable to host it is because they didnt anounce the date until a month before. I remember with fairly good accuracy because i was goign to get to play on a team where the other four players were 30x better than me (at the time). The cpl also allowed for byoc qualifiers =/. Counter-strike has grown a tremendous amount since then as well and i think the number of registrants for this mwgl somewhat represents this.

Old Post 10-25-2002 07:50 PM
Bruce_1337

quote:

btw i do agree dbh that there as much support as i wish there was for competitive gaming. Like i stated in my first post, i think the majority of the people that attend the mwgl are casual (by this i mean they simply play for fun) not competitive.

Old Post 10-25-2002 07:53 PM
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

Oh, and about the changing of the poll. I have no idea what you're talking about with that one. I didn't change it. In fact, I really haven't paid that much attention to it.

Old Post 10-25-2002 08:42 PM
All times are Central. The time now is 06:23 AM. Post New Thread   
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread ]