Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
MWGL Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 MWGL Forums > The Gamers Corner > RPG (Role Playing) > MMORPG's
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Immolatus

MMORPG's quote:

I'm just wondering what, if any, online rpg's people play here. Specifically, if anyone plays Asheron's Call or Dark Age of Camelot. I'm not too far into the second one (as I just picked up the game), but it's still pretty fun. Let me know what the deal is, if you all would be so kind. It's getting kinda dry on AC, what with about half the people leaving (and getting just as many n00bs back in). Anyway, let me know...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-16-2002 04:16 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squirre1
|MwGL| Founder/Leader

quote:

Well if Rikus Khan ever took time to read the forums to reply he does....

Kagato is a big EQ freak....

Old Post 02-16-2002 04:39 PM
Squirre1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squirre1 Click here to Send Squirre1 a Private Message Click Here to Email Squirre1 Visit Squirre1's homepage! Find more posts by Squirre1 Add Squirre1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Immolatus

quote:

figures - that's about the only one i don't play... too many monthly bills as it is...

Old Post 02-16-2002 05:37 PM
Immolatus

quote:

Up for new people, if applicable
Let me know who plays what.

Old Post 01-12-2003 12:14 AM
KaiserRoll
Line noise

quote:

Looking to get started into shadowbane as soon as its released, and if it doesn't suck.

Old Post 01-12-2003 11:37 AM
KaiserRoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KaiserRoll Click here to Send KaiserRoll a Private Message Click Here to Email KaiserRoll Find more posts by KaiserRoll Add KaiserRoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

I used to play EQ, as well. Don't any more, though. Ceased being fun and I didn't want to pay for it any more, either. I'll be looking to get Star Wars: Galaxies when it comes out, though. So expect to see me there.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Old Post 01-12-2003 12:31 PM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kagato
Lord Master Smacktard

quote:

Yeah, I still play EQ from time to time - with my current work schedule, I really only get time on weekends any more. Starting to loose interest again in the game though. We've got one hell of a great public raiding system on E'Ci which is where I spend most of my playable time, it's fun getting to seen encounters few others guilds get the chance too, but it's just boiling down to the same thing for me and it's getting rather mundane. Tried DAoC for all of about 2 weeks - simply hated the game, dunno why - just didn't find it as fun. Tried AC when it was beta, didn't care for it. Tried AC2 beta, same thing. Although the one thing I liked about AC was the fact that they could easily change/add to storylines, etc. but you still end up with the same thing - kill, lewt, repeat. Wether it's against monsters or other players, it gets boring after awhile.

I may try SWG when it's released - I'll buy a copy at least, we'll see if it's any funner (somehow I doubt this, it'll be EQ in a futuristic setting with different abilities - same result, kill/be killed/lewt/repeat). I wanna go back to the days of lemmings, now there's a game I could spend hours upon end playing.

Old Post 01-12-2003 01:16 PM
Kagato is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kagato Click here to Send Kagato a Private Message Visit Kagato's homepage! Find more posts by Kagato Add Kagato to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kagato
it'll be EQ in a futuristic setting with different abilities - same result, kill/be killed/lewt/repeat)
That's where you're wrong. That's exactly what it will NOT be. Specifically because they recognize the problems with EQ and want to avoid those. There will be no LEVELING...that's right...no dings. Everything is based on skill sets and professions. RANDOM SPAWN TABLES! (no camping) QUEST BASED SPAWN TABLES! (Mob will only spawn when you get near enough to it on your mission). PLAYER HOUSING! PLAYER BASED ECONOMICS! SINGLE CHARACTER SERVERS! These will all help it avoid being a "futuristic setting of EQ", especially because that's exactly what the developers did not want it to be. I can't believe more people in this group are as excited about it as Burn and I am.

Old Post 01-12-2003 03:07 PM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Immolatus

quote:

I think part of the fun is developing your character - if you aren't allowed to 'ding' at least a little bit, improve yourself through training/fighting, whatever, then it's kinda pointless - maybe I'm just a sucker for seeing xp go up

But Anthos, AC has a lot of what you mentioned. It has a lot of dungeons (camping) too, but it's not totally like that. I think the only thing AC doesn't have is single character servers (not quite sure what you mean by that - one player servers, or one character type servers?), which, if either one of those is what you meant, kinda makes SWG sound... not fun.

and just FYI, Kagato - I personally think AC's beta did kinda suck, but it's actually fairly fun now I'm probably heading towards the end of my time on that game, maybe in the next year or so, but I'd still reccommend it for a change of pace

I might have to take a look at SWG, but from what it sounds like, I may just rather stick with my old school-ish stuff

Old Post 01-17-2003 02:44 PM
BurnPilot
A Kamikaze Wombat

quote:

He means single character servers by the fact that you can only have one character on a server per account. You can have a character on every server if you wanted but you would only have one PER server. I will be playing Star Wars when it comes out as well. This will be my first attempt at a mmorpg. Supposedly they are working very hard to make sure you feel like you are in the Star Wars universe and it isn't just kill kill kill.

Old Post 01-17-2003 06:06 PM
BurnPilot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BurnPilot Click here to Send BurnPilot a Private Message Click Here to Email BurnPilot Find more posts by BurnPilot Add BurnPilot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Immolatus

quote:

Ah, ok - that is a little more interesting... just hope they don't load you down with items you can/would like to use (or even items period), it almost seems like you could just forget about helping someone out with some nice beginner's items, but I don't know a whole lot about how it's gonna work - it might be a lot cooler than what it sounds.

I have what I hope is an insider tip, should be a really cool game coming out soon, I'll let you guys know more about it when I hear of it

Old Post 01-17-2003 06:24 PM
Kagato
Lord Master Smacktard

quote:

I'd probably be more excited about it if it wasn't coming from Verant/SOE - 3+ years of EQ have pretty much killed off any belief in me that they truly care for their customers. Granted I imagine they've learned alot from the time they've been running EQ, but I just know they'll end up with some "ooops" on launch day - like only having one patch server or something stupid

Either way, I'll probably buy a copy and see how it pans out and if it ends up being worth spending another $12/month for the priveledge to keep playing. I'll admit the more time goes on, there are some cool ideas they're hatching, I just hope they can see them through.

Old Post 01-17-2003 07:18 PM
Kagato is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kagato Click here to Send Kagato a Private Message Visit Kagato's homepage! Find more posts by Kagato Add Kagato to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Immolatus
I think part of the fun is developing your character - if you aren't allowed to 'ding' at least a little bit, improve yourself through training/fighting, whatever, then it's kinda pointless - maybe I'm just a sucker for seeing xp go up
You will be improving your character. The only difference is it will be a skill set that you are improving. Rather than being able to learn new spells, gaining more hp, etc., you use your XP to spend your set amount of skill points on the skills that you qualify to train in (some skills have prerequisites).

quote:
But Anthos, AC has a lot of what you mentioned. It has a lot of dungeons (camping) too, but it's not totally like that. I think the only thing AC doesn't have is single character servers (not quite sure what you mean by that - one player servers, or one character type servers?), which, if either one of those is what you meant, kinda makes SWG sound... not fun.
The latter is what I meant, as Burn clarified. You will be allowed a total of ten characters (one on each of ten servers; as it stands now). I personally don't think it will affect the fun factor, as you can switch back and forth between servers/characters. Also, there's no worrying about having to delete the character and be left behind by all the people that you were used to playing with, because you will still be able to group with them, due to the lack of levels (like in EQ, you could only group with players close to your level).

quote:
I might have to take a look at SWG, but from what it sounds like, I may just rather stick with my old school-ish stuff
Couple of links for you to take a look at. LOADS of information about the game. Much more info released pre-release than any other game previously.
SWG Resource Center
SWG Official Site
Also check out the developers' digest there.

quote:
Originally posted by BurnPilot
He means single character servers by the fact that you can only have one character on a server per account. You can have a character on every server if you wanted but you would only have one PER server. I will be playing Star Wars when it comes out as well. This will be my first attempt at a mmorpg. Supposedly they are working very hard to make sure you feel like you are in the Star Wars universe and it isn't just kill kill kill.
It definitely will NOT be "just kill kill kill". There are 25 different professions in SWG. You will be able to make a character with absolutely no combat training and never enter battle, if you wished to do so. Merchants, explorers, politicians, doctors, the works.

quote:
Originally posted by Immolatus
Ah, ok - that is a little more interesting... just hope they don't load you down with items you can/would like to use (or even items period), it almost seems like you could just forget about helping someone out with some nice beginner's items, but I don't know a whole lot about how it's gonna work - it might be a lot cooler than what it sounds.
Not quite sure what you mean by that. Sounds like you're talking about the high level items that people use to twink with, etc. Level 1 newbie with full set of crafted armor, or something like that. Not quite sure how items are going to work, actually. Once the game gets far enough along, I think they're going to weed out most (if not all) of the NPC vendors, making it a true player run economy. Alot of the items will be crafted (and will come from an actual supply line, not just one individual).

quote:
Originally posted by Kagato
I'd probably be more excited about it if it wasn't coming from Verant/SOE - 3+ years of EQ have pretty much killed off any belief in me that they truly care for their customers. Granted I imagine they've learned alot from the time they've been running EQ, but I just know they'll end up with some "ooops" on launch day - like only having one patch server or something stupid

Either way, I'll probably buy a copy and see how it pans out and if it ends up being worth spending another $12/month for the priveledge to keep playing. I'll admit the more time goes on, there are some cool ideas they're hatching, I just hope they can see them through.

I understand perfectly what you mean about EQ and their customers. I've been doing a LOT of reading on those links I posted above. The developers really make you (well, me at least) feel like they are truly making a game for their customers. Changes have been/are being made, due to feedback from forum users and beta testers. They provide tons and tons of information about the game. I think the pushing back of their unofficial "release dates" actually makes me feel better. They're taking their time to make sure the gameplay, the balance, the servers, etc., are all good to go before they actually launch the game. They certainly don't want to look like Anarchy Online.

I have confidence that it will be a complete success (they are actually limiting release of the game to help with server load) and will be an awesome game to play for some time to come. I'm actually planning on take 3-4 days off (paid, mind you ) when it comes out. Hehe...yes, I know that's kind of sad and pathetic...but that's okay. I'm comfortable with that.

Old Post 01-17-2003 11:14 PM
myst

quote:

I play DAOC on the lancelot server, Merlin and Isuelt

Old Post 02-04-2003 10:18 AM
All times are Central. The time now is 11:23 PM. Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread ]