Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
MWGL Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 MWGL Forums > Technical Support > Hardware > Soundblaster Live! Series
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Overboard
D'oh!

Question Soundblaster Live! Series quote:

I've got a "Soundblaster Live! Series" sound card in my Gateway 1.1Ghz machine. It outputs only a digital signal, so I have digital speakers (both the card and the speakers came with the machine when I bought it about 2 years ago). I'm seriously considering attending the next game date and I was wondering if anyone else has a sound card that only outputs a digital signal and what they do for headphones, since I see that speakers aren't allowed at these things. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-16-2003 08:03 PM
Overboard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Overboard Click here to Send Overboard a Private Message Visit Overboard's homepage! Find more posts by Overboard Add Overboard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

How sure are you that this card is digital out only? Do you have additional plugs available for analog speakers and they just don't seem to work?? I've never heard of a card not allowing you to utilize analog speakers. My Live! card has 5 plugs (black, orange, green, pink, and blue). The digital out is the orange one, which actually does go to my subwoofer, even though the speakers are not digital. I plug my headphones into my green plug (front speaker out). Check your card for those plugs and post back. If you've got the additional plugs (I can't imagine why you wouldn't; I can't find anything on Gateway's site about a Live! card that doesn't have all the available plugs), try your headphones in the green one and see if that works.

This is what I did find on Gateway's site:

quote:
Easily connect to Cambridge SoundWorks DTT3500, DTT2200, and other Dolby Digital-ready 5.1 home theater systems Features and Benefits Dolby Digital 5.1 and Analog Surround Sound The Sound Blaster Live! provides a full 5.1 surround-sound experience in either digital or analog mode for all your audio entertainment needs. You'll get superior sound quality with Dolby Digital 5.1 technology in movies by connecting a Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital speaker solution to the digital-out connector on Sound Blaster Live! Or, connect the Sound Blaster Live! to analog devices such as the Creative Inspire 5.1 5300(my speakers) speaker solution to experience 5.1 audio.
The analog is important, because that's what your headphones will be using. If you truly do possess a digital out only card...well, I dunno what to tell you.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Old Post 01-16-2003 11:18 PM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DarkPhan
|MwGL| Server Admin

quote:

The card you have should have several plugs on it. There is a setting in the AudioHQ application that will enable/disable digital output on the card, you will need to disable the digital output and then your headphones should plug into one of the jacks on the card. I don't have one of the cards here in front of me, so I can not tell you which spot to plug it into. what you could try is set your card to 2 speaker (or headphones, i can not remember if headphones was/is an option in audiohq) then, start up an mp3 or some other sound and simply plug your headphones in to each jack until you hear sounds...

Oh, you might jot down your current settings before doing any of this so you can put it back the way it was so your speakers will work.

Old Post 01-17-2003 12:00 PM
DarkPhan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DarkPhan Click here to Send DarkPhan a Private Message Click Here to Email DarkPhan Visit DarkPhan's homepage! Find more posts by DarkPhan Add DarkPhan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Overboard
D'oh!

quote:

I was making an assumption that it couldn't do analog because I tried to get it to drive some analog equipment a year or so ago and had no success with it at all. In retrospect, I may merely have been attempting it incorrectly. I'll check on it again.

Thanks for the advice.

Old Post 01-17-2003 02:23 PM
Overboard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Overboard Click here to Send Overboard a Private Message Visit Overboard's homepage! Find more posts by Overboard Add Overboard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WaRMaN
Administrator

quote:

I have the same card - go to your audio headquaters and "uncheck" digital only. It is a pain in the ass to switch back and forth, but you can leave the headphones plugged in the green port, and switch as you need.

Old Post 01-17-2003 02:43 PM
WaRMaN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WaRMaN Click here to Send WaRMaN a Private Message Click Here to Email WaRMaN Visit WaRMaN's homepage! Find more posts by WaRMaN Add WaRMaN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DarkPhan
The card you have should have several plugs on it. There is a setting in the AudioHQ application that will enable/disable digital output on the card, you will need to disable the digital output and
Oh yeah. Forgot about that part. Thanks .

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Old Post 01-17-2003 10:57 PM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
All times are Central. The time now is 11:28 PM. Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread ]