Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
MWGL Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 MWGL Forums > MWGL Questions, Comments and Off-Topic > MWGL Off-Topic > Ender's Game
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

Ender's Game quote:

Trying to keep the hijacking to a minimum

The current status of the Ender's Game movie
Warner Brothers optioned both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow in order to create a single feature film entitled "Ender's Game." Wolfgang Petersen is attached as director, and Robert Chartoff and Lynn Hendee remain as producers.

Card turned in the author-written script in May 2003. Warner Brothers and the various producers and the director are interviewing established screenwriters for the second draft.

No schedule or casting will be possible until a final script has been written and agreed upon by all parties. Then the director's schedule will be used as the basis for determining the start of shooting. Once the schedule is set, casting will begin. Remember that this film requires many good child actors, and the two most important child roles, Ender and Bean, are also the youngest and smallest. So chances are that the children who end up in these roles will be actors you have not seen in major roles.

Meanwhile, Card and his partners continue to develop other properties for production, including Homebody, The Lost Prince, Dogwalker, Malpractice, Pastwatch, Feed the Baby of Love, Unaccompanied Sonata, and Treason.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-03-2004 07:11 AM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gravity
|MwGL| Member

quote:

i would like to see treason as a movie. i really enjoyed that book. just a few months ago i went looking for it at my library and they had to get it on loan apparently i was the only person who liked it

Old Post 02-03-2004 11:30 AM
Gravity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gravity Click here to Send Gravity a Private Message Click Here to Email Gravity Find more posts by Gravity Add Gravity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

Treason was good. I personally really enjoyed the Earthfall series.

Old Post 02-03-2004 11:46 AM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gravity
|MwGL| Member

quote:

yeah but i like teh first couple of books betten then i like the ending. i was always kinda partial to the worthing saga it was a fun read. have you read any of his short stories? some of em are pretty twisted.

Old Post 02-03-2004 03:47 PM
Gravity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gravity Click here to Send Gravity a Private Message Click Here to Email Gravity Find more posts by Gravity Add Gravity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

No, I don't think I have read any of his short stories.

Old Post 02-03-2004 05:13 PM
snooggums
n00bie

quote:

For Ender's Game the violence between the kids will be the hardest part to get past the censors, and would ruin the movie if left out.

Old Post 02-04-2004 12:56 AM
snooggums is offline Click Here to See the Profile for snooggums Click here to Send snooggums a Private Message Click Here to Email snooggums Find more posts by snooggums Add snooggums to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

Very good point.

Old Post 02-04-2004 07:11 AM
Gravity
|MwGL| Member

quote:

that and with all of the zero g combat it really wouldnt of been very easy to make 5-10 years ago. however i wish they would make it anyway. as good as the book is even if it had an R rating i think it would do pretty well at teh theaters.

and anthos if you want to read cards short stories the book is called "maps in a mirror"

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/books/maps.shtml

Old Post 02-04-2004 02:38 PM
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

I wonder if it would be good as an animated film. Like Final Fantasy style. That would take care of the gravity and child actors (physically). Just need to do voices. Perhaps get women to do the voices, like Bart Simpson.

Old Post 02-04-2004 05:14 PM
Gravity
|MwGL| Member

quote:

i think you are on to somehting there anthos. besides the zero-g combat could be way cool if it were animated. they could doo all kinds of cool stuff.

Old Post 02-04-2004 08:00 PM
Gravity
|MwGL| Member

quote:

News about Ender's Game: The Movie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This page was last updated Tuesday, February 10, 2004 at 09:39:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie Update - February 10, 2004
X-Men 2 Writers Signed for the Ender Screenplay
Variety Magazine announced on 10 February that Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty, the writing team that created the X-Men 2 screenplay, have been hired by Warner Brothers to write the second draft of the Ender's Game screenplay.

Harris and Dougherty have already been in contact with Orson Scott Card, the author of both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, both of which have been optioned by Warner Brothers as the basis for the Ender's Game movie. Card wrote the first draft of the screenplay based on both books.

"Dan and Mike know how to create a terrific action film that entertains the audience every moment," said Card. "And best of all, their scripts get made, and made well. The chance of an excellent version of Ender's Game actually getting on the screen just increased dramatically because they signed on."

Harris already knew Ender's Game well; Dougherty only read it in preparation for this assignment. "That's an ideal combination," said Card. "One of the team is absolutely familiar with the elements of the story that the most committed fans will expect to see, while the other will be able to make sure it isn't just a movie for people who already love the book."

Still, Card warns, "No matter who writes the script, there are only a hundred and twenty pages available to tell a story that took more than five times that many to tell in novel form. Trying to include everything would make a lousy movie. Something is going to get left out."

"My own draft of the screenplay gives a pretty good idea of which elements of the books I thought were vital to the telling of the story," says Card. "I can't wait to see what they do."

"And of course I'll be available to them to help them in any way I can," Card promises. "We all have the same goal: To get a great movie into the theaters. With Wolfgang Petersen slated to direct and Warner Brothers executives committed to backing this project to the hilt, I believe that we couldn't have a better team."

Though the Variety article doesn't mention her, Robert Chartoff's partner Lynn Hendee, of Chartoff Productions, is still aboard as a producer of Ender's Game. She has been working closely with Card since 1996, and has been an integral part of every version of the script and every attempt to put together the film package.

"It's ironic," says Card, "that the producer who has worked the hardest to realize this film as I want it is the one whose name isn't mentioned in the story. But that's Hollywood. It makes me wonder how many other films owe this much to people whose names somehow don't make it into the official story."

In March, Card will be meeting with Warner Brothers Consumer Products division to discuss development of the electronic games that will tie in with the movie.

As to when the movie will come out, Card says, "It's way too early even to guess about that. The second draft isn't even written yet. And even when we get a script that everyone thinks is perfect, there's still the problem of casting and, of course, making everything fit with everyone's schedule."

Card promises that "as soon as we know anything real," it will be announced here and elsewhere.

Old Post 02-18-2004 09:48 PM
All times are Central. The time now is 02:19 AM. Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread ]