Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
MWGL Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 MWGL Forums > MWGL Questions, Comments and Off-Topic > MWGL Off-Topic > Computer Advice
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
WaRMaN
Administrator

Computer Advice quote:

The budget:
$500

The parts needed:
MB & CPU
RAM 512 or 1 GIG
Case

Any suggestions on what to get and where?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-26-2004 11:37 PM
WaRMaN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WaRMaN Click here to Send WaRMaN a Private Message Click Here to Email WaRMaN Visit WaRMaN's homepage! Find more posts by WaRMaN Add WaRMaN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alucard
Disabled

quote:

try www.newegg.com that is where i go.

Pain is my love.
I am the god of death.
While you are waiting for you fate.
Would you dance with me?

Old Post 02-27-2004 04:49 AM
Alucard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alucard Click here to Send Alucard a Private Message Click Here to Email Alucard Find more posts by Alucard Add Alucard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
snooggums
n00bie

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DesignatedDecoy
try www.newegg.com that is where i go.

You should be able to put together a really good system through there and get it in a few days. Prices are reasonable and everything is well marked and they handle bad parts well I hear, although I've never had a bad part.

What kind of each are you looking for? I can build a whole comp that is decent without a vid card for about 225 there, but it depends what exactly your are looking for, brands you want etc.

Old Post 02-27-2004 05:42 AM
snooggums is offline Click Here to See the Profile for snooggums Click here to Send snooggums a Private Message Click Here to Email snooggums Find more posts by snooggums Add snooggums to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kagato
Lord Master Smacktard

quote:

Deffinately NewEgg:

Motherboard: Abit NF7 - $79
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500 Mobile - $99 (these run at a lower voltage than desktop so if you're not oc'in, they run really cool)
Memory: Corsair DDR-PC3200 - 1 Gig - $170
Case: Chenbro PC61166Blue - $45 -or-Lian Li PC-7 - $90

Old Post 02-27-2004 07:04 AM
Kagato is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kagato Click here to Send Kagato a Private Message Visit Kagato's homepage! Find more posts by Kagato Add Kagato to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pc_g0d
Mr. Motion Sickness

quote:

I bought my last rig from newegg. Had it in no time. Everything worked great. Good luck.

Old Post 02-27-2004 04:37 PM
pc_g0d is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pc_g0d Click here to Send pc_g0d a Private Message Click Here to Email pc_g0d Find more posts by pc_g0d Add pc_g0d to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
snooggums
n00bie

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kagato
[B]Deffinately NewEgg:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500 Mobile - $99 (these run at a lower voltage than desktop so if you're not oc'in, they run really cool)

But will the mobo autodetect this? I didn't know they were the same size even.

Old Post 02-28-2004 02:56 AM
snooggums is offline Click Here to See the Profile for snooggums Click here to Send snooggums a Private Message Click Here to Email snooggums Find more posts by snooggums Add snooggums to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

Yup. They are socket A, as well. They run on a lower FSB and lower voltage. I would think if you did this, you would have to make sure you lower your voltage output in the bios beforehand, right? I wouldn't think 1.65v would boot it. Possibly fry it? I dunno....if temperature isn't an issue (and it shouldn't be with a proper cooling fan and case air flow), then just stick with the regular Athlon XP 2500 . $76

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Old Post 02-28-2004 05:49 AM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alucard
Disabled

quote:

for a mobo get a kt 600 i am running a gigabyte kt 600 and i love it there are so many things you can change to make it run just the way you want it to.

Attachment: quote.txt
This has been downloaded 2662 time(s).

Old Post 02-28-2004 08:30 AM
Alucard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alucard Click here to Send Alucard a Private Message Click Here to Email Alucard Find more posts by Alucard Add Alucard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kagato
Lord Master Smacktard

quote:

The mobile versions are the same as the desktop, with the exception that they've been certified at running the same speeds at lower voltages. I believe most of today's boards should detect them without issue and select the correct voltage and even if not, they still shouldn't have issues running at the stock 1.65V. The big draw to them now is since AMD has started locking the multiplier on all the normal XP line, the mobile's are still unlocked - big positive when your overclocking an AMD.

Old Post 02-28-2004 09:14 AM
Kagato is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kagato Click here to Send Kagato a Private Message Visit Kagato's homepage! Find more posts by Kagato Add Kagato to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mojo_jojo
|MwGL| Official

quote:

Warman,

Why don't you get a mini case. Shuttle makes a good machine and you get a board and case all in one.

If you don't go overboard with processor speed and memory, I think that you should be able to get all that you need for less than five hundred dollars.

Later,

Old Post 02-28-2004 01:58 PM
Mojo_jojo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mojo_jojo Click here to Send Mojo_jojo a Private Message Click Here to Email Mojo_jojo Visit Mojo_jojo's homepage! Find more posts by Mojo_jojo Add Mojo_jojo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

I don't know about those, but if he picks his own parts, then he can get pretty much whatever he wants (within a certain performance level) for around $400-$500 for the parts he listed. That way, he's not stuck with just a few options of premanufactured stuff.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Old Post 02-28-2004 10:36 PM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reflex
Baron von Blubba

quote:

I don't have much to add, except that NewEgg is the way to go, massive selection and excellent prices.

Old Post 02-28-2004 11:15 PM
Reflex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reflex Click here to Send Reflex a Private Message Click Here to Email Reflex Find more posts by Reflex Add Reflex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WaRMaN
Administrator

quote:

OK, this is what I am looking at.....

Intel 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

ABIT 875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" -RETAIL (Kagato wanabe )

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

CHENBRO Blue/Black Mid-Tower Case, Model "PC61166BLUE"

Total of $550

I am also adding on an ATI 9800 PRO 128 MB Video Card.
Opinions?

Old Post 02-29-2004 12:44 AM
WaRMaN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WaRMaN Click here to Send WaRMaN a Private Message Click Here to Email WaRMaN Visit WaRMaN's homepage! Find more posts by WaRMaN Add WaRMaN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MOMO
King of MOMO Land

quote:

Question: The specs from the mobo states:

RAM: 4x DIMM support Dual-Channel DDR400 Max 4GB(ECC)

Does that mean the board only accepts ECC ram, or can non-ECC work too?

Also, I'm guessing that you already have a PS?

Old Post 02-29-2004 09:45 AM
MOMO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MOMO Click here to Send MOMO a Private Message Click Here to Email MOMO Visit MOMO's homepage! Find more posts by MOMO Add MOMO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kagato
Lord Master Smacktard

quote:

Most folks use non-ECC on the board since the correction isn't really necessary for gamers and whatnot. As far as I know, the ECC support will only work if up to two slots are populated, beyond that and it gets disabled.

Old Post 02-29-2004 08:54 PM
All times are Central. The time now is 10:16 AM. Post New Thread   
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread ]