Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
MWGL Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 MWGL Forums > MWGL Questions, Comments and Off-Topic > MWGL Questions and Comments > There are 66 peeps for CS meaning 13 teams...
What are you playing UT2K3 for?
This poll is closed.
Something to do while I wait for CS because thats what I am here for 2 15.38%
I am here to play UT2K3 ONLY 0 0%
My name is Brian Kellogg and I am #8 in the world at UT 5 38.46%
I cant play CS so I play this game 0 0%
I like both games but would drop UT if CS started saturday 4 30.77%
CS is for pimple faced teenage brats 2 15.38%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
marloo

There are 66 peeps for CS meaning 13 teams... quote:

At the First MWGL for me, the last one they had. I was with the team that won, Meaning I had to be there the whole time. Now the teams that were there and as I rember there were only MAYBE 8 teams all wanted to do 12 rounds per side.
We did 7 rounds per side starting at I think 11 am. The cs part of the tourney was done late that night. Now the Question I have is this. I look at the registered peeps list and see 66 people in the cs tourney. 13 Teams of 5, how is the MWGL going to have 13 teams finish in one day if they BARELY had 8 teams finish in one day last time?
I think since cs is the MAIN tourney why dont you do it on sat and run it into sunday? Use sat to weed out the teams that are going to semi finals and finals.
I would unregister from the UT2k3 tourney if you started cs on sat and by looking at most of the names I know from the CS community I think alot of them are playing UT2K3 because they want something to do. Thats just my opinion but lets see what you other kiddies think.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-24-2002 01:45 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

Re: There are 66 peeps for CS meaning 13 teams... quote:

quote:
Originally posted by marloo
The cs part of the tourney was done late that night.
Maybe that had something to do with it?

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Old Post 10-24-2002 05:39 AM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marloo

quote:

But the problem is there are 13 teams signed up...it took all day and into the late night to finish with around 8 teams, even with the 7 rounds per side deal. How are you going to finish a touney early on sunday night so people can drive back to thier school/lives/jobs in towns X hours away : Rolla, STL, BFE with 13 teams when you cant do it with 8?
There are people coming into this from not just KC...

I am not trying to be dificult but in most forums you have to raise hell and start a "argument" to get anyone to put in thier two cents.

Old Post 10-24-2002 06:32 AM
dbh

quote:

Not voting... you didn't include any option for "I like UT2k3 and am playing in the tournament to test my mettle against the other nubs."

I agree more time = good for this tourney, and yes, as long as I can remember the mwgl has been pushed for time on this tournament-- the most popular one. I don't think removing or forcing people to make a choice between the two tournaments is wise.

I think people need to move faster. Don't waste your time when you're getting ready for a match "warming up" or rebooting your system or any other ghey crap. Get in the game, play your match, IMMEDIATELY REPORT THE LOSS/VICTORY, and move on. Keep the tournaments moving. Don't waste time. If the UT2k3 tournament gets over at a reasonable time, jump right into CS and start weeding teams out. You might even come up with the tournament's ladder post early in the day (noon? or just after?) allowing the designated teams to have the *opportunity* to do their match early on during other tournaments should both teams not be involved at that time. Even if only two teams choose to do this, that's one 20-30 minute match that can be spared later on.

-dbh

Old Post 10-24-2002 09:47 AM
bobdoletha1

quote:

is it double elim or something? Also, how will a bye be handled?

For the matches is there like a special area were people have to get setup, or is it just play-from-your-seat? Will we be able to setup our seating to accomidate our team, or is it just first come-first served on seating spots?

I think some preliminary matches on saturday night some time would make sense if we really have that many teams.

Old Post 10-24-2002 10:30 AM
dbh

quote:

Not sure on double elim - I know they used to a couple years ago? Been too long :\

As for seating - there isn't a "match" area like the cpl/qcon/pro event. You play from your seat like any other sub500 LAN. I do think as long as the people you are saving seats for are registered, you're fine up until noon when waiting list/walkins are acknowledged. So just make sure either A) your entire team is prepaid or B) your entire team arrives before noon.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

-dbh

Old Post 10-24-2002 11:12 AM
dbh

quote:

Just a thought ... If the format for the ut2k3 tournament does end up being 1v1 DM, you can really speed that up with a few simple game rules:

1. Winlimit not timelimit. Set it to 10, 15 or 20. This way, obvious win matches don't end up playing to a 50 point spread, wasting everyone's time.

2. Keep it to small maps. Maps like Gael, Leviathan, Serpentine, Compressed, Oceanic, Training Grounds, etc. are allowed - maps like Asbestos, Antalus, Plunge, etc. are disallowed. Let's face it - a 1v1 on Tokara Forest is insane :\

3. Single Elim?

With just those three rules, even a 30 person, single elimination 1v1 DM can be done in a couple hours time easily. Most matches will take no longer than 5 minutes.

This would speed along this tournament (as a BR or CTF tournament can take 20-30 minutes per match) and allow more time for the longer tournament, Counter-Strike.

-dbh

Old Post 10-24-2002 11:27 AM
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

It is double elim, and dbh is right on the money with the seating. Take his advice, if you're worried about that . As for Saturday evening, we're working on it. And marloo, it didn't take all day and all night with the 8 teams. It did take longer than it should have (my fault, btw), but it didn't really take that long. We'll probably end up doing 2 or 3 rounds on Saturday evening, have a break, then finish the rest up Sunday morning. Remember that when Squirre1 posted the schedule, it was listed as TENTATIVE only. Obviously, we'll have to take into account tournament size, but that really won't be finalized until the event when everyone actually pays and registers for the tournaments.

Old Post 10-24-2002 11:28 AM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dbh
Just a thought ... If the format for the ut2k3 tournament does end up being 1v1 DM, you can really speed that up with a few simple game rules:

1. Winlimit not timelimit. Set it to 10, 15 or 20. This way, obvious win matches don't end up playing to a 50 point spread, wasting everyone's time.

2. Keep it to small maps. Maps like Gael, Leviathan, Serpentine, Compressed, Oceanic, Training Grounds, etc. are allowed - maps like Asbestos, Antalus, Plunge, etc. are disallowed. Let's face it - a 1v1 on Tokara Forest is insane :\

3. Single Elim?

With just those three rules, even a 30 person, single elimination 1v1 DM can be done in a couple hours time easily. Most matches will take no longer than 5 minutes.

This would speed along this tournament (as a BR or CTF tournament can take 20-30 minutes per match) and allow more time for the longer tournament, Counter-Strike.

-dbh

Double elim does give those players another chance to get back at it (like if they play TrueSign first , but they can easily get back into second place by running the loser's bracket).

The problem I have with winlimit versus timelimit is the simple fact that people have different playing styles. Someone could start off slow and get a feel for how someone plays and then later on catch back up and win. Sort of an analytical style of playing. Winlimit matches may not give them that chance. Sort of like why most sporting events are based on a specified time limit, not who can get to a certain point count first (4th quarter type of style...wear them down and all that). It can also be thought of as the difference between a sprint track runner and a long distance track runner. Sure, they may be a fast sprinter, but can they go the distance?

I guess what my point is, is that while we do have time constraints and we need to be concerned about them, we also need to be able to make the tournament fun and enjoyable for as many people as possible.

Old Post 10-24-2002 11:45 AM
dbh

quote:

Good points - makes sense to me.

-dbh

Old Post 10-24-2002 12:27 PM
TrueSign

quote:

How could 2 other peopel vote as Brian Kellogg, when I am me.

Old Post 10-24-2002 06:53 PM
dbh

quote:

Maybe you suffer from Multiple Personality Disorder?

-dbh

Old Post 10-24-2002 06:57 PM
[SLJ]1337Dude

quote:

Muahaha, Simpleton!

Actually I was just being retarded and voted that, I barely ever play UT2K3...

Old Post 10-24-2002 08:28 PM
Butress

quote:

wUd teh r33l slim kellog pl33z stAnd uP?

Old Post 10-24-2002 09:15 PM
[SLJ]1337Dude

quote:

My head hurts!

Old Post 10-24-2002 09:17 PM
All times are Central. The time now is 11:31 PM. Post New Thread   
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread ]