Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
MWGL Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 MWGL Forums > MWGL Questions, Comments and Off-Topic > MWGL Questions and Comments > Official Console Tourney Thread
Should the Console tournaments at Lite Events be for money?
Yes, nothing says winner like lots of cash
No, merely crushing my foes is enough
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
BurnPilot
A Kamikaze Wombat

Official Console Tourney Thread quote:

First of all vote to help us decide if console tournaments, which will be held at lite events, should be strictly for bragging rites or if money should be involved. If money is involved it will probably be the same entry fee as a normal tournament, $5 per person.

Next list any games that you think would be cool for us to have tournaments with. Beach Spikers is great but I'm not sure it will be at every lite event. Maybe we can have more than one console tourney at a lite event, but we will start out with one for the time being to see how it runs. Try to suggest games that are easy for people to pick up and play so that we can get as many attendees involved as possible. Here's some of my game suggestions.

Super Smash Brothers
NFL Blitz
NHL Hitz
NBA Street
Capcom Vs SNK 2 (or another fighting game)
Burnout 2 (1v1 racing or pursuit)
Mario Kart (GC version once it comes out or N64 for now)
Super Monkey Ball 1/2 Mini Games (Monkey Fight, Monkey Target, etc)
Goldeneye (or Perfect Dark)

Go ahead and share your thoughts and ideas. As new games come out that you think would make a great tournament, post them here as well so we can check them out.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-05-2003 10:44 PM
BurnPilot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BurnPilot Click here to Send BurnPilot a Private Message Click Here to Email BurnPilot Find more posts by BurnPilot Add BurnPilot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KaiserRoll
Line noise

quote:

Cheap would be better, at least for the first console tournaments you try. Id almost be willing to bring my xbox too.

Old Post 05-06-2003 12:01 AM
KaiserRoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KaiserRoll Click here to Send KaiserRoll a Private Message Click Here to Email KaiserRoll Find more posts by KaiserRoll Add KaiserRoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sniper FX
Disabled

Console Tourney quote:

Hey if you are really wanting to get a console tourney
I dont think you could leave out the XBOX with :

HALO and NFL 2K3

But then again it will get very sticky with different consoles and a huge list of games,
Seems like too much work to me. But if there is a method to the madness Im in.

Old Post 05-06-2003 10:01 AM
Sniper FX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sniper FX Click here to Send Sniper FX a Private Message Click Here to Email Sniper FX Find more posts by Sniper FX Add Sniper FX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KaiserRoll
Line noise

quote:

atari joust tournament would be interesting... or a tetris tournament

Old Post 05-06-2003 03:13 PM
KaiserRoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KaiserRoll Click here to Send KaiserRoll a Private Message Click Here to Email KaiserRoll Find more posts by KaiserRoll Add KaiserRoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sir Raven
|MwGL| Mechwarrior

quote:

Well I have an orginal Nintendo. I will have to look at what games I have that would fit for a tourney. I think for now tho it should be bragging rights. Or mabe give out a door prize to start out with.Then if the numbers are high enough for the tourney then do money.

Old Post 05-06-2003 03:54 PM
Sir Raven is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sir Raven Click here to Send Sir Raven a Private Message Click Here to Email Sir Raven Visit Sir Raven's homepage! Find more posts by Sir Raven Add Sir Raven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BurnPilot
A Kamikaze Wombat

Re: Console Tourney quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sniper FX
Hey if you are really wanting to get a console tourney
I dont think you could leave out the XBOX with :

HALO and NFL 2K3

But then again it will get very sticky with different consoles and a huge list of games,
Seems like too much work to me. But if there is a method to the madness Im in.

I thought of Halo and the major sports games such as EA's and Sega's. The problem with those are that they use so many buttons that you would really have to be use to the controller for whichever system they are played on. There is a similar issue with Capcom vs SNK2 (trying to find out a way around this since I think fighting games would make a great tournament) and Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Timesplitters 2 (which is by the people who made Goldeneye and actually is better than Halo for multiplayer in my opinion). Sure they would make great tournaments but it would be very limited since there are so many buttons to memorize. The one reason I mentioned Goldeneye is everywhere I mention it people seem to recall playing it, so I thought it might be doable. Other than that all the games I listed only use 3 buttons tops so it shouldn't be that hard to get people up and playing pretty well even if they aren't used to the controller.

One X-Box game that I think would work pretty well would be Fusion Frenzy. I remember playing this at the X-Box launch party I went to and thinking it was the most enjoyable game there (yes, even better than Halo).

Old Post 05-06-2003 04:49 PM
BurnPilot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BurnPilot Click here to Send BurnPilot a Private Message Click Here to Email BurnPilot Find more posts by BurnPilot Add BurnPilot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KCShadowDragon
Phear teh 3vil Duckie

quote:

I say go all out on the old school....

PONG baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 05-06-2003 11:03 PM
KCShadowDragon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KCShadowDragon Click here to Send KCShadowDragon a Private Message Click Here to Email KCShadowDragon Visit KCShadowDragon's homepage! Find more posts by KCShadowDragon Add KCShadowDragon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KaiserRoll
Line noise

quote:

or Combat (the one that has the tanks that consist of about 20 enlarged pixles)

Old Post 05-07-2003 07:33 PM
WaRMaN
Administrator

quote:

quote:
The problem with those are that they use so many buttons that you would really have to be use to the controller for whichever system they are played on. There is a similar issue with Capcom vs SNK2 (trying to find out a way around this since I think fighting games would make a great tournament)

Don't forget the EO in Capcom vs SNK 2 EO. That would make up for your button problem since EO is used with the right stick on the XBOX (one direction movement to complete moves/combos). Also, Football season is approaching soon, and baseball season is here and MLB 2004 is coming out and will be network compatable.

Also, June will reap three HUGE games on XBOX:
Wolfenstein
Midnight Club II (out on PS2)
Soldier of Fortune 2 (GOLD)

All three games are network I am probably missing some. But my point is: the console tourney might be more realistic than most of you think!

Old Post 05-08-2003 11:20 PM
WaRMaN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WaRMaN Click here to Send WaRMaN a Private Message Click Here to Email WaRMaN Visit WaRMaN's homepage! Find more posts by WaRMaN Add WaRMaN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BurnPilot
A Kamikaze Wombat

quote:

Yeah I just left the EO off to type things out faster. The Gamecube version is EO as well. Haven't played it in anything but classic mode, I'll have try EO mode out and see what it's like. It might work.

Old Post 05-09-2003 02:12 AM
Reflex
Baron von Blubba

quote:

Someone needs to bring DDR

Old Post 05-17-2003 06:10 PM
Reflex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reflex Click here to Send Reflex a Private Message Click Here to Email Reflex Find more posts by Reflex Add Reflex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
All times are Central. The time now is 05:21 PM. Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread ]