Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
MWGL Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 MWGL Forums > MWGL Questions, Comments and Off-Topic > MWGL Off-Topic > Genome@Home
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
devilon

Cool Genome@Home quote:

All right, I'm supporting my mother country, but still, I would like your guys' help.

If you don't already know, I am a regular visitor of kcgeek and they use a program called Genome@Home. This program, as stated on the Genome@Home web page, goes like this:

quote:

The Human Genome Project is nearing completion, and scientists are working hard to develop the understanding needed to use this wealth of genetic information in ways that will be significant to medicine and humankind. One of the most important ways to do this is to study the other genomes and individual gene sequences that are already available to us. By understanding how these genomes work, we will be able to put the huge amounts of data (over 50, 000 genes and 3 billion nucleotide base pairs) from the Human Genome Project into biological and medical context, giving it real meaning.

Proteins, the molecular products encoded by genomes, are the functional units of all cellular machinery. Our partner project, Folding@home, is striving to understand how existing proteins attain their specific, functional three-dimensional structures. The goal of Genome@home is to design new genes that can form working proteins in the cell. Genome@home uses a computer algorithm (SPA), based on the physical and biochemical rules by which genes and proteins behave, to design new proteins (and hence new genes) that have not been found in nature. By comparing these "virtual genomes" to those found in nature, we can gain a much better understanding of how natural genomes have evolved and how natural genes and proteins work.

Please do me a favor and sign up for our team. The program uses you extra processor cycles to complete its work, and then uploads the units when they are finished and downloads a new one. If you do decide to join, and don't want to use your own name for the username, enter devilon. For the team number, use 350781532.

BTW, Immolatus, I'm up to 506.80 units (as of 2-20-02 at 7:05 PM). You will be owned soon.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-20-2002 07:07 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kagato
Lord Master Smacktard

quote:

Yeah, I saw this awhile back, never downloaded it though, when my machine is on, I'm playing games, when I'm not playing, machine is off .

I've never read through their whole announcement, but is there anything in there about the information they find being free to everyone else? The downside is that you're saving a company money and generating information they could turn around and sell to pharmacy/biogenetics industry for $$$ (that is assuming unless they note that this is not the case).

Overall I can see it as a benefit to humanity by what can be uncovered for future medicines, but somebody'll get fat off the deal (how long to patents last these days?).

Old Post 02-21-2002 12:51 PM
Kagato is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kagato Click here to Send Kagato a Private Message Visit Kagato's homepage! Find more posts by Kagato Add Kagato to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
devilon

quote:

Kagato-

I am currently only running Genome on my laptop (PIII 650) and I complete approximately one unit a night. I shut it off and turn it on all the time. I have Genome in the Startup menu, so it starts whenever I bring my laptop up. I don't worry about not having enough available system resources to run it, because it adjusts based on what you are running. It sets itself as a low priority program, and you can still game with it on.

As for the sale of their research, they would have about 16,000 users really pissed off at them, so I don't think they would go about doing something like that. You never know though.

--Dev

Immolatus, btw I am located at ../

Old Post 02-21-2002 07:08 PM
Immolatus

quote:

don't you mean F:\shared\users\l-users\dev ?

just a thought...

you just can't beat me in genome, dev - my computer almost never shuts down (remarkably, even though it sucks enough to have justification). You just can't compete... you will be assimilated...

have fun fuming, and get in touch with me (I've left messages everywhere)

Old Post 02-23-2002 04:35 PM
g0dsp33d

quote:

SETI ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FORGET THE REST>>>> I rather have some Alien beam down and bring WW3.

Old Post 03-02-2002 07:05 PM
g0dsp33d is offline Click Here to See the Profile for g0dsp33d Click here to Send g0dsp33d a Private Message Click Here to Email g0dsp33d Visit g0dsp33d's homepage! Find more posts by g0dsp33d Add g0dsp33d to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
g0dsp33d

quote:

BTW, I forgot to mention scientists are dumb.

Better that a weatherman in my opinion. They sit back, make a theory, and get paid. Damn what A job....Hey I think the world spins Counter Clockwise......HA...Did I get paid for thinking of that. NO.

Old Post 03-02-2002 07:06 PM
g0dsp33d is offline Click Here to See the Profile for g0dsp33d Click here to Send g0dsp33d a Private Message Click Here to Email g0dsp33d Visit g0dsp33d's homepage! Find more posts by g0dsp33d Add g0dsp33d to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
devilon

quote:

PC_Creature: I would much rather install a little DOS program than an overtly bloated graphical interface that only runs when your screensaver is on (by default). Genome is for an actual good cause. Aliens? Fuck em. Let them come, I'll be ready with my 30.06.

Old Post 03-03-2002 11:54 AM
BurnPilot
A Kamikaze Wombat

quote:

Actually PC you would make a horrible scientist, if I look at the world from the bottom it spins clockwise. You didn't qualify your statement. That is why you get no money.

Old Post 03-03-2002 02:48 PM
BurnPilot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BurnPilot Click here to Send BurnPilot a Private Message Click Here to Email BurnPilot Find more posts by BurnPilot Add BurnPilot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squirre1
|MwGL| Founder/Leader

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by devilon
PC_Creature: I would much rather install a little DOS program than an overtly bloated graphical interface that only runs when your screensaver is on (by default). Genome is for an actual good cause. Aliens? Fuck em. Let them come, I'll be ready with my 30.06.

Actually devilon, there are DOS command line versions for just about every OS out there if you check out SETI@Home's site....

Old Post 03-03-2002 05:20 PM
Squirre1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squirre1 Click here to Send Squirre1 a Private Message Click Here to Email Squirre1 Visit Squirre1's homepage! Find more posts by Squirre1 Add Squirre1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
devilon

quote:

Shut up Squirre1. No one asked you.

And you never did answer my other question: WHAT KIND OF GEFORCE 4S ARE YOU GIVING AWAY?

Old Post 03-03-2002 05:32 PM
All times are Central. The time now is 02:22 AM. Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread ]