Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
MWGL Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 MWGL Forums > Technical Support > Hardware > Computer issues
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
BurnPilot
A Kamikaze Wombat

Computer issues quote:

For those that were at Mizzouri's lan, you might remember that I had problems starting it when I got there. Eventually it started at the lan, but the problem came up again when I got my computer home. It hasn't started since. I went in and cleared out all the dust and also reseated all the cables. It's still not starting. Basically, I hook it up and hit the power button and nothing happens, not a single thing at all. I can hear some slight humming from the power supply when I plug the power in, but that's it. Thoughts and suggestions?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2007 10:30 PM
BurnPilot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BurnPilot Click here to Send BurnPilot a Private Message Click Here to Email BurnPilot Find more posts by BurnPilot Add BurnPilot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Krogue
|MwGL| Founder/Co-Leader

quote:

Have you tried another power supply? That would be my first thought.

Old Post 01-15-2007 11:54 AM
Krogue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Krogue Click here to Send Krogue a Private Message Click Here to Email Krogue Visit Krogue's homepage! Find more posts by Krogue Add Krogue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BurnPilot
A Kamikaze Wombat

quote:

That was my first thought as well. Due to the weather to the weather I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions before I drove all the way out to Microcenter to pick up a new one though. Any other thoughts of things I can try at home? Hopefully things will be cleared off enough by tomorrow to drive out there if nothing else works.

Old Post 01-15-2007 03:17 PM
BurnPilot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BurnPilot Click here to Send BurnPilot a Private Message Click Here to Email BurnPilot Find more posts by BurnPilot Add BurnPilot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sir Raven
|MwGL| Mechwarrior

quote:

Well I would also check your memory and make sure it is seated properly. Remove power from all devices except motherboard and see if it comes up. Also remove any cards except for your video card and see if it boots up. If one of your cards is bad, it wont boot properly. If you have an old video card that you can slap into it to make sure it is not the video card, is also an idea. Usually when a power supply fails, it wont do anything at all. No fans moving or anything. That humming sound I think indicates a different problem. If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

Old Post 01-15-2007 05:38 PM
Sir Raven is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sir Raven Click here to Send Sir Raven a Private Message Click Here to Email Sir Raven Visit Sir Raven's homepage! Find more posts by Sir Raven Add Sir Raven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BurnPilot
A Kamikaze Wombat

quote:

I guess I'd characterize it as more of a whine than a hum. It's also definitely coming from the power supply versus anywhere else. No fans come up on the board or the ones in the case that connect directly to the powersupply. I assume those are linked to turn on when the mobo says to though, like the hard drives.

Old Post 01-15-2007 06:04 PM
Sir Raven
|MwGL| Mechwarrior

quote:

I had a simular problem with my file server. The power supply whines/hums while it runs. I had intermitant booting with it. It turned out to be a bad card in my machine.

Old Post 01-16-2007 01:51 PM
Sir Raven is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sir Raven Click here to Send Sir Raven a Private Message Click Here to Email Sir Raven Visit Sir Raven's homepage! Find more posts by Sir Raven Add Sir Raven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BurnPilot
A Kamikaze Wombat

quote:

Well, I tried starting it up with minimal components and even with none. I got no response both ways. Luckily I found a cheap Antec case and power supply on Newegg and I'm going to order that. The power supply is 50 watts more than my current one and the case is smaller too (been wanting a small case anyway). Hopefullly that will fix the problem. Feel free to share anything to watch out for in the mean time and I'll let you guys know if it works once I get the case in the mail. Thanks for the help.

Old Post 01-16-2007 05:42 PM
Sir Raven
|MwGL| Mechwarrior

quote:

I do know that you can get a power supply tester for around 20 bucks so that could be an investment for anyone there in KC who needs it.

Old Post 01-17-2007 09:36 AM
BurnPilot
A Kamikaze Wombat

quote:

Maybe I'll look into a tester in the future. I got my new case and power supply in and hooked everything up today. It's running great. I'm glade I went for the case too as it's really nice. I got the Sonata II from Antec and it's smaller than my old one and has a bunch of cooling and noise canceling features integrated.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15139

Old Post 01-20-2007 11:10 AM
Sir Raven
|MwGL| Mechwarrior

quote:

It looks real nice..I hope it works for you.

Old Post 01-20-2007 01:44 PM
All times are Central. The time now is 09:42 PM. Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread ]