Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
MWGL Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 MWGL Forums > MWGL Questions, Comments and Off-Topic > MWGL Questions and Comments > Plans for the Next Lan Party?
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
TiTyBaNG

quote:

Sir Raven for Prez!
I'm glad to see someone who is dedicated to getting a rts tourney going in the future.
Just for you guys that ARE intrested in wc3. There will be a server up and running at the lan according to a friend i've talked to.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-11-2002 11:22 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr.Sparkle

quote:

Titty, just make sure that it's a dedicated server that he won't be doing anything else on, also make sure that you have the latest server patch, I've gotten mine upto 1.21 but I haven't tried to get it to 1.31 right now.
Oh and DBH you must recall how many times jedi knight 2:jedi outcast was copied at last mwgl, I didn't think they seem to care.
Mr.Sparkle

Last edited by on 05-12-2002 at 08:38 PM

Old Post 05-12-2002 08:35 PM
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Sparkle
Oh and DBH you must recall how many times jedi knight 2:jedi outcast was copied at last mwgl, I didn't think they seem to care.
Mr.Sparkle

What! I didn't see any copying going on! How outrageous!!!!! I assume that's a joke and will hear nothing more of it.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Old Post 05-12-2002 11:18 PM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbh

quote:

Warez happens. Sad, but true. I did not make any references to having Warcraft III and playing it at the MWGL (although it is wrong, and if caught by any affiliate to the law you can be fined to the extreme). What I did say is that the MWGL (or any other LAN) cannot official host and run a tournament involving a game which has not been officially released.

Your friend is more than welcome, as far as I'm concerned, to host his own server and play it to his liking. As are you, and any other attendees-- unless an MWGL official says otherwise. You won't catch me in the game, however, as I have better things to do with my time than rip developers off. Particularly when they are still in the beta stage of development.

/rant

-dbh

Old Post 05-13-2002 06:21 PM
TiTyBaNG

quote:

quote:
Titty, just make sure that it's a dedicated server that he won't be doing anything else on, also make sure that you have the latest server patch, I've gotten mine upto 1.21 but I haven't tried to get it to 1.31 right now.

I thought you were going to be running the server. Thats who I was referring to. Not me. If i had another computer to run a dedicated server on I would. But I don't

quote:
You won't catch me in the game, however, as I have better things to do with my time than rip developers off. Particularly when they are still in the beta stage of development.

How am I ripping Blizzard off? Im buying the game the day it comes out. I'm playing the beta for practice. That way ill be experienced with the game and ahead of the people that didn't play the beta.

And if im not mistaken..... Blizzard gave people beta cd's.

Aw man I missed a SC Tourney
Whats your guy's LAN Party Web Page?

quote:
We ran an SC tourney at the last LFF, and it went very smoothly.

Old Post 05-14-2002 03:16 PM
dbh

quote:

Edit: Long post. Don't read unless you have a few minutes of your life to waste.

www.lawrencefragfest.com

Next one is coming up in mid-June. Every other LAN is tournament-based... this one hits the no-tourney rotation. We do that so that other games (ala JK2, SoF2, etc.) get played, and not the typical three (UT, Q3, CS) constantly. Plus, it allows those gamers who are less competitive to fit in and have a good time. People are welcome to setup their own tournaments there, however. We always just ask that they contact us with their plans before hand so we can prepare dedicated servers and whatnot.

As for hurting Blizzard through the beta: People aren't directly hurting their profit margin as of yet. I guarantee you a large # of current players out there, however, will not be purchasing the final.

The real problem factor here is not doing what the developer has asked. Yes, beta cd's were sent out. Yes, 5000+ were sent to legitimate testers (all of whom were either hand-picked by the devs or randomly due to location/comp specs in the sign-up they had months back). No, you weren't picked (I'm assuming), and No, I was not picked.

Here's the kicker: the devs made this a closed beta for a reason. Regardless of whether you plan to buy it or not, they did not make it public. You broke the law by downloading it, and you are continuing to break it for using it today. I understand your desire to become familiar with it and thus have a better edge over the legits when it hits shelves. Many others feel the same way you do. Yes, perhaps it us unfair that 5000 people are legally allowed to play the beta for months prior to when the rest of us are... but as you may have noticed, the beta has changed significantly since its initial release. I would wager more changes will take place. That doesn't throw off the fact that they have an edge... but if you are a dedicated player, their extra time will make no difference.

I'm not going to be your nanny and tell you you can't download software that either (A) you haven't paid for, or (B) hasn't been released to the public. I only posted about this initially to let you know not to expect an official WC3 tournament until the final is out.

As an official SoF2 beta tester, and a friend (he is in -=SoF=-) of the lead programmer, I cannot express the anger and frustration we felt late last month when someone leaked it to the internet. I guarantee you more than half the folks who played that one through will not be purchasing it. When a couple of our members spotted a group playing it at a recent LAN in Colorado, they almost got out of their chairs and went to go beat the living crap out of the lanky freaks across the room. Most of them are warezmonkeys who haven't purchased a single game in their life. Imagine spending two years of your life working on a project, only to have the reward you were to get at the end snatched away from you by a bunch of thieves on the internet. Kinda sucks, if you ask me.

*steps off soap-box*

So that you don't think I'm a self-righteous, sanctimonious fool, I'll let you know that I too downloaded the WC3 Beta a good while back (in its first patch). I played it for a good week, enjoyed it, and have since deleted it (within, I'd say, two weeks of having it). That doesn't make it right, and I am rather upset with myself for doing it. I know it sucks to have to wait months on end for something you really want-- particularly when others already have it-- but it is the right thing to do. The choice is yours.

-dbh

Note: Titty, the negativity above wasn't specifically addressed to you... I didn't mean it to be at least. Just getting some general stuff off my chest.

Old Post 05-14-2002 04:46 PM
TiTyBaNG

quote:

I know

Old Post 05-14-2002 06:15 PM
dbh

quote:

Thanks for being cool about it... didn't want to upset ya :/