Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
MWGL Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 MWGL Forums > MWGL Questions, Comments and Off-Topic > MWGL Questions and Comments > Plans for the Next Lan Party?
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
dbh

quote:

Gave that more thought. Do you guys mind if we host mini-informal tournaments? If that would get in the way, then nevermind. I don't want to distract from the main event... I would like to see something CS related, however. Could we maybe post a vote on the site, or during registration on tournaments? Like setup a three-fold tournament voting process? That's what we do for LFF registration...

www.lawrencefragfest.com

Our next event won't have formal tournaments... we like to rotate every other event between tourneys and no-tourneys to keep everyone competitive that comes, but also comradery-based. Long story, but we've found it works fairly well for our meager 50 person database of gamers.

Anyway, what I was getting at, was the way they have registration setup. You create an account at the site. Then you login. Go to events-->next event. Add me to the list. Once added, you can then click a button at the bottom of the registration list: "Tournament voting." And working off a basic form, you vote for a game. The top three games are the games we host tourneys for officially. *shrug* It seems to work well for the most part... but it may not be right for the MWGL. Just a thought.

-dbh

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-28-2002 09:27 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiTyBaNG

quote:

I know you had mentioned that there will be no RTS games bcuz they were to long. But I was wondering if you can get like a "for fun, NO prize WC3 tourney." Just set up some brackets and just let the teams play away.
It's just an idea.
There are a lot of RTS gamer's out there that would love to be able to play a RTS Tourney.

Old Post 04-29-2002 08:48 PM
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

As long as Squirre1 has the servers set up for it, there will be a CS tourney.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Old Post 04-30-2002 12:11 AM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbh

quote:

Cool. Let me know if you guys need any help with anything. I have an extra box I can bring to host a server or two:

WinXP Pro
Athlon 966
256 MB SDRAM
Nvidia Vanta (16MB)
20 GB 5200RPM HD

Not a great box, but that's why it's one of my spares. More than an adequate host, however.

-dbh

Old Post 05-01-2002 06:40 PM
Boltsky

quote:

Steps to deal with cheaters
-----------------------------------

1) Locate cheater and confirm the cheating
2) Beat the shit out of the cheater and piss all over his computer while it is running.
3) Repeat as many times as necessary

Old Post 05-09-2002 08:55 PM
Sir Raven
|MwGL| Mechwarrior

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TiTyBaNG
I know you had mentioned that there will be no RTS games bcuz they were to long. But I was wondering if you can get like a "for fun, NO prize WC3 tourney." Just set up some brackets and just let the teams play away.
It's just an idea.
There are a lot of RTS gamer's out there that would love to be able to play a RTS Tourney.

Who said their wont be any rts tourneys: Not me. I am an rts player and I will say that one will be in the works in future events. Probably Empire Earth or AOE or even Starcraft in 1v1 deathmatch. Who ever said that is misinformed. We just need to work out details on running one effectively so time doesnt become a factor. The main reason we havent done one so far is because of the popularity of 1st person shooters their are atleast 8 members of mwgl that play rts type games so we are not trying to rule out that idea. When one is decided we will make sure their is enough time to register for it but for now patients is all that is needed. Even if their are no tourneys of it their is always someone playing one, find them join in and have fun...

Old Post 05-10-2002 03:05 AM
Sir Raven is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sir Raven Click here to Send Sir Raven a Private Message Click Here to Email Sir Raven Visit Sir Raven's homepage! Find more posts by Sir Raven Add Sir Raven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbh

quote:

Right. The key to any tournament is timing. You have to keep things moving, or they don't all get done... and if you are holding your largest tournament for last (CS), you HAVE to push the stragglers early on to get their rear in gear. Particularly in 1v1 (whatever style)-- gamers like to warm-up and prepare themselves mentally before each match. In order for things to move smoothly, this just can't happen.

If you need an RTS tournament, and you have less than 8-10 people involved, I would recommend running it during another tournament, or do it first-- on a Friday night (if it's a Fri-Sat LAN). That way, gamers not interested in the RTS can choose to either just come Saturday, or come both days and warm-up/play the night before.

I know you all know this... just a quick reminder

-dbh

Old Post 05-10-2002 07:51 AM
BurnPilot
A Kamikaze Wombat

quote:

The problem with an RTS tournament, at least in my mind, is that you could easily get 20+ participants and each round could easily take 2 hours plus if not limited in some way. Sure there would be rounds decided in possibly under 30 minutes but you have to plan for the possibility. The only way around this would be to limit round time and say something like, "Best Score in 30 minutes". Of course the problems with this would be the difference in strategies. One person can have "turtle" strategy that could see them lose a little more early on yet still rebound and win given the amount of time to finish the round. I've been looking at new tournament ideas for a while now and can't find a way to run an rts tourney that would be fair to all and still time effiecent. So far I have not found a way for it to work out. If anyone has an idea of how to do an rts tourney and make it fair for ALL strategies let us know. So far any idea has been way to time consuming and you must remember, some of us want to game in addition to running the events.

Old Post 05-10-2002 08:05 AM
BurnPilot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BurnPilot Click here to Send BurnPilot a Private Message Click Here to Email BurnPilot Find more posts by BurnPilot Add BurnPilot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce_1337

quote:

I think dbh had a good point in running tournaments at the same time. I know some people like to cross enroll but i remember at the last event the cs tournament was not only shorted round but barely finished as it was. If your able to run both at the same time the CS tournament could start earlier and we could play with full 12 rounds ( 12 rounds is even more important now because they made it virtually impossible to win a save round in 1.4 by making pistols at least 4x worse than they used to be (except the glock, the glock is the same =/)).

Old Post 05-10-2002 12:54 PM
Anthos
|MwGL| Wicked Sick Admin

quote:

The CS tournament running long was partly due to the fact that we had you finish out all the rounds, instead of just stopping when it was decided. That wasted a lot of time. That will be changed next time.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nobody wins in a quick-draw contest.

Old Post 05-10-2002 01:39 PM
Anthos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anthos Click here to Send Anthos a Private Message Click Here to Email Anthos Visit Anthos's homepage! Find more posts by Anthos Add Anthos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiTyBaNG

quote:

A Starcraft Brood War tourney would not take long at all if it was a 1v1 tourney. I'm pretty skilled at that game, and when I play gosu's from clan x17 our matches never last any more then 45 minutes. (AT THE MOST)

I like the idea of having the WC3 tourney the night before the big tourney's. That allows us plenty of time. The tourney wouldn't take to long becuz there isn't a ton of WC3 beta players out there yet. I would suggest a 2v2 style. Just duke it out from there and see how it goes.

I would love to see a WC3 tourney at the next MWGL, if that can't be arranged, a Brood War tourney will do

Old Post 05-10-2002 03:34 PM
BurnPilot
A Kamikaze Wombat

quote:

The problem is that you can't guarantee that time limit. Sure you might be able to beat a inexperienced player in no time, but we still have to plan for the longest scenerio. I've seen 1 on 1 matches last 3+ hours between skilled players and quite frankly it would be hard to schedule somthing like that. The reason most of our tournies are fps is because you can set a match time and say that is it. RTS have the problem I mentioned earlier, were some people might take loses at first but be able to pull it out later because of the strategies they use. There is no fair way in my opinion that an rts tourney can be done without it being the primary tourney and running pretty much the entire event. Even then there is no guarantee that we will have enough time.

Old Post 05-10-2002 04:15 PM
BurnPilot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BurnPilot Click here to Send BurnPilot a Private Message Click Here to Email BurnPilot Find more posts by BurnPilot Add BurnPilot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbh

quote:

Right again, to Burn. Planning for the possibility is a must. Same with game design. You have to code the software to work even for idiots, who think it's cool to do everything you're *not* supposed to do. It's a pain in the rear, but you have to do it.

As for a WC3 tournament - I think that's a no go from the very start. If the MWGL officially sponsors one, they can get into serious trouble with Blizzard. Regardless of your views on ethics and morality, playing it at this point is illegal. Your welcome to play it as far as I'm concerned-- but for the MWGL to sponsor a tournament for it and award prizes... *shrug*

It sounds to me as if the last CS tournament was almost cut off short-- again. I've only been to two MWGL's. Both were scheduled to have CS tournaments (by far the highlight of the event, if you looked at enrolled figures), and only one ended up having one. This was a 3v3 CS tournament, and the team I brought stole the title from the infamous [HE], comprised of CK3 (which split with some members going to X3 later), and other 1337 players. Sadly, halfway through the tournament, due to time constraints, the rules were changed to hasten the pace.

At the second one I attended (Squirre1's b-day - w00d!), the CS tournament was cancelled near the end of the event, again due to time constraints.

Now I'm way cool with both of those events, and I consider them among the top-rated LAN's I've attended. I had a blast, and I met some truly awesome (both in personality and talent). I can't *wait* for the next one, regardless of the way it is run or the tournaments (if ANY) it has. But, if you plan on running tournaments at the next (or any others in the future), I would advise looking thoroughly into a time schedule and sticking to it. The CS tournament was shortened/cancelled at those events, not because the CS tournament was going slow, but because the previous tournaments dragged on. Push ALL tournaments-- not just the last, and especially not just the favorite. Come up with a list of tournaments you want to host, plot out the time schedule, and pull out the cow-prods.

-dbh

Old Post 05-10-2002 08:18 PM
Sir Raven
|MwGL| Mechwarrior

quote:

Time constraints is something we are already working on. We understand that it is an issue. As far as rts games, if we do decide to have one, it will be the main tourney for that event. There is time issues with them; but I believe that we cannot rule out the idea of ever having one. So those of you being negative about it can come talk to me about it cause I will push for one in the future.

I do understand how you all feel about them. When I first started gaming (a real long time ago) fps and flight games were all I played and I did not like rts games at all. Now I prefer them and rpgs, but I still play fps. I just wanted ya to know that I understand the problems with running a rts tourney. If it comes down to it I will most likely run it anyways.

So for now I want to end the debate over having a rts tourney. There will be one in the future but not right away. I will probably run it, and it will most likely be the main tourney. When the plans to have one are set I will let everyone know. Those of you who play rts games come see me at the next lan and we will play. I cant promise I will rule but I will give ya a good show.

Old Post 05-11-2002 12:49 AM
Sir Raven is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sir Raven Click here to Send Sir Raven a Private Message Click Here to Email Sir Raven Visit Sir Raven's homepage! Find more posts by Sir Raven Add Sir Raven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbh

quote:

NP Raven, I'm way down with having one. Whether I enter or not is another question, but I'm game for it. We ran an SC tourney at the last LFF, and it went very smoothly. We did it Friday night, and ran the other two Saturday. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "main event", however, as the main event tournament typically is the one with the most people interested. I'd wager any RTS tournament in Kansas is not going to be the prime pick. In Korea, it will be without a doubt

RTS are fun, cool and open for tournaments-- they just take a little extra preparation. Seems like you're the man to do it.

-dbh

Old Post 05-11-2002 11:22 AM
All times are Central. The time now is 02:50 PM. Post New Thread   
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread ]