Posters Name: Kagato
Posters Email: email@example.com
Subject: Unreal II : The Awakening Patch v1403
You've waited for what has likely felt like years on end for an update to resolve lingering issues to the recently released Unreal II : The Awakening. Well, 'lo and behold for it has been made so. Weighing in at a measly 4MB, this patch provides quite an listing of updates, so many that I won't list them all here. If you'd like a full listing, click on the "Read More..." link below or head here. Overall, the one common mentionable in the update is what appears to be the elimination of alot of the crash bugs many users have been reporting. Enjoy.
· Updated DefOpenAL32.dll which should fix EAX-related PlaySound
· Fixed VerifyImport crash (occurred when level changed after game
· Fix for IKey assertion (crash) due to "special" keys on some keyboards
(e.g. internet enabled keyboards).
· Fixed crash if some items used after they've been destroyed (fixes
crash in MM_Marsh if player destroys force field as squad leader tries
to disable it for example).
· Additional fix for decolayer density change for Sulferon Assault (and
other maps with corrupt terrain info's).
· Possible fix for DirectMusic-related "GetEventTool" crashes.
· Fixed bug report system sometimes crashing or silently failing due to
· Fixed GetOggDuration crash if –nosound used.
· Fix for sound-related crash when exiting some levels with DirectX 9.
· 10% improvement in golem mesh rendering performance.
· Fixed unnecessary particle lighting overhead problem.
· For performance reasons, most carcasses are cleaned up more quickly
· For performance reasons (mainly in marsh) dropped energy rifles are
cleaned up after 10 seconds.
· M08B: improved performance by making sure generator rotating movers
only rotate when they are visible.
· MM_Marsh: added field generator and turret to PreCacheList to avoid
hitches when these appear.
· M12: fixed particle overhead.
· Added new code/changes to limit overhead due to ragdoll deaths (see
"Advanced Tips for Improving Performance" in the readme for details).
· Sound fixes. Should reduce occurrences of sound "stuttering" that some
people have had due to sound overload / thrashing.
· Fixed player dodge speed and height. Can be modified via user.ini
settings (see DodgeXYVelocityScale and DodgeJumpZScale in the [U2Pawn]
· M03A1: gave ammo to merc with grenade launcher.
· M08B: lowered carcasses, blood to floor.
· M09E: fix for 2 fems staying "inert" if the fem with the RL is killed
before being triggered.
· Fixed damage warnings (accessed nones) along with fix for damage
effects (blood) being spawned so far inside character's mesh that it
doesn't show up (currently only affects mukhoggs).
· Sunlight fix (flickering in waterfront and potentially other places).
· MM_Waterfront: fall out of world fix.
· M12: fixed sun disappearing in opening cutscene with
ParticleDensity=0. Also CS_Outro, PA_Acheron, PD_Acheron.
· Display gamma/brightness/contrast values when changed via F10/F11/F12
· Fix for inert skaarj lying prone on bank in M08B (skaarj will now
react to hearing the player even if player bypasses trigger).
· Fix for "Joe's" script breaking in M10_Avalon in some cases.
· Fixed changing actor detail level in-game could result in invisible
NPCs (in TutA).
· Made key bindings delete button more obvious (click on this to delete
· Fix from Jason Yu for bots sometimes not respawning after being killed
· Added files needed to fix umod support. The umod registry settings
will also need to be modified for Unreal II umods to work. We're
working on making a separate downloadable installer for this but in
the meantime, people who installed the game in the default folder can
click on the .reg file in Unreal2Help.
· Increased crawling spider damage by 3x.
· Fixed rammers not attacking properly.
· Fix for Golem references being lost resulting in “invisible” NPCs if
game saved/loaded prior to spawning in NPCs which use a mesh which is
no longer in the level.
· Fixed music not playing issue with some levels.
· Added carcass cleanup particle effect.
· Added support for modifying player movement speed via Unreal2.ini
setting (for the duration of the game). For example, to increase the
player's movement speed by 50% set PlayerSpeedRatio=1.5 in the
· M08B: fixed trigger that player could avoid.
· Added 70 and 72 Hz to refresh rates options.
· Support for scaling the hud / ui to better support multiple monitor
setups. This can now be controlled via the ScaleX, ScaleY, OffsetX,
OffsetY properties in the [UI.UIConsole] section in Unreal2.ini. For
example, use ScaleX=0.333 and OffsetX=0.333 for three screen support.
· Added "mouse over" context information for the EAX check box. Warns
against enabling EAX on non-Audigy / Audigy 2 cards and warns about
possible performance issues.
· Mod authors can once again enable script warnings / errors by setting
bDisableErrorMessages=false (by default all script warnings / errors
are silent). These were completely disabled for RC7 with the intent of
re-enabling these for the patch. Note that you have to enable the
Component=Console.MessageArea line in UIScriptsUI.ui (remove the ";")
to see debug messages in-game.
· Fix for not being able to paint on terrain in editor.
· Fix for terrain build crash if no terrain map in level.
· Fixed editor "first run" (UnrealEd.ini added to system folder).
· Fixed WBrowserStaticMesh::UpdateMenu crash.
· Fixed crash if you clicked on delete in the decolayer terrain tool,
without a decolayer actually being selected.
Testing / Stats
· Improved in-game profiling support / logging.
· Improved in-game stats. Added "stat lock".
· Added Mike Lambert to in-game credits.